Finally.....My Mexi blooms!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
I got this division of Mexipedium xerophyticum 'Windy Hill' HCC/AOS as a 2 growth plant with no roots and very soft, wrinkled foliage back in February 2008. I didn't realize at the time that it did not have a single live root! I broke it in two (the connecting rhizome was dead) and tried to baby the two pieces back to life. One piece survived; but, it didn't advance after it got a couple roots going. It would grow a small leaf and lose a leaf. After about 2 to 2 1/2 years it was still a small, single growth with no new starts and it was not any larger in leaf span.

Then, I learned on this forum that I should repot it into a more terestrial mix (less gravel), water more (keep moist) and give it more heat and light. So, last fall I repotted it and moved it to the warmest, brightest corner of the greenhouse. About 2 months later I noticed a stolon with a new growth on the end poking out of the new mix. Plus, about 2 or 3 months after that, I noticed it sending up this flower spike! It's so cute(!) and tiny! MY camera had a lot of difficulty handling this one. That's a 4 1/2" pot the plant is in. I've seen other people's divisions of this same clone that are much bigger and impressive; but, for now, I'm happy. I suspect this single flower will be all I get and then the spike will dry out. However, considering the time of year, that's not so bad, as it can then make the most of the summer season to put on more growth. :)

20245.jpg

20246.jpg

20247.jpg

20248.jpg

Wow that is a tiny plant, mine should be blooming. Thanks for sharing, very cute.

Thank you all....and especially, thank you to everyone who shared their cultural information for this species to help me become successful with this plant.

Nice John! That pencil is much better then a cigarette!
LOL! Having not ever been a smoker, I had no idea that cigs could be different sizes. I suppose a pencil can be too; but, this is pretty obviously a standard, run of the mill, common as dirt, HB pencil. So, I think it makes a good universal size comparison example. The thing that got me most is that the flower is not much bigger than the little eraser at the top!:rollhappy:

:clap::clap: Cute as can be! :drool::drool:
You're getting my hopes up, is it a new leaf on mine???? or ......

it looks very close to paph visually more than Phrag.
could it be crossed with Paphiopedilum???

Thank you all....and especially, thank you to everyone who shared their cultural information for this species to help me become successful with this plant.

I can't believe you fell for that crap we made up....and then it worked anyway!!!:wink::poke::wink:

Actually John you've posted some great inspirational plant come-backs. Great growing:clap::clap:

I can't believe you fell for that crap we made up....and then it worked anyway!!!:wink::poke::wink:

Actually John you've posted some great inspirational plant come-backs. Great growing:clap::clap:

LOL! Aw, don't tell me that....ignorance is bliss,you know! :wink:
Thanks for the compliment.:)

This is just lovely!
Congrats...what a great payoff for all your hard work!

Latest posts

Back