Paph praestans, yellow(ish) form

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
From Sam's a few years ago. Not blooming as well as the first time. The first flower opened up while I was on vacation. Came home to find the flower opened up with the staminode on the outside of the pouch! I pulled the pouch forward to cover the stami but you can see the stami is pooched forward.
p1050534.jpg

p1050531s.jpg

Here I have it with another "praestans" I picked up from Phelps. The plant is a bit larger and has a "red cast" to some of the younger leaves. On another thread there was a discussion on the differences between species/ varites in the glanduliferum complex and this red tone was mentioned.

p1050537n.jpg

Thanks all. I'll have to get back to you Fabrice about the parents. I will try to steal some time away from the family this weekend and take better pictures with natural daylight.

I took advantage of the light and snapped off some interesting observations between the two. The darker praestans has a bit of a dip in the front of the pouch where as, the yellowish form is fairly straight across.
(reddish leaves)
p1050558x.jpg

(yellow flower/ green leaves)
p1050568y.jpg

The staminodes have differences as well. Red flower/plant's stami has two teeth at the end and overall "flatter" then the other. The hairy slides are more exposed forward so you can see them easier. The yellow flower/green plant's stami is blockier with the hairy sides better viewed from the side then the front. The end "tooth" is large, single and squarish.
Red
p1050561.jpg

yellow
p1050566i.jpg

The back of the flowers are vary similar. Mostly a color difference. Which isn't that obvious in my PIC's The yellow form is more yellow, especially on the tips.
red
p1050572.jpg

yellow
p1050571.jpg

Rick H. Now try to compare your praestan with recent iweyshen's glanduliferum (red-leaf= old wilhelminae), which are even more yellowish. These two have been lumped together as just glanduliferum by RHS based on Cribb's 2nd edition. And the old gardinerii is now recognised as wilhelminae.
I was recently advised on these changes by Julian Shaw (RHS registrar) and Rick.

The staminode of the "yellow form" looks like a cross of praestans x philippinense...?

Howard, I would like to do just that.
UweM, The yellow-er flower/plant came from Sam at OrchidInn. All the tag says is "Paph praestans X sib" no more parent info. With that said, somewhere in the past this plant could of been polluted with philie but I don't think so. If you go to iweyshen's thread, you posted a link if I remember correctly that shows line drawings of all the different staminodes in this complex. Based on those drawings, my reddish plant would be bodegomii and the yellow flowered one straight praestans. Check it out.

Howard, I would like to do just that.
UweM, The yellow-er flower/plant came from Sam at OrchidInn. All the tag says is "Paph praestans X sib" no more parent info. With that said, somewhere in the past this plant could of been polluted with philie but I don't think so. If you go to iweyshen's thread, you posted a link if I remember correctly that shows line drawings of all the different staminodes in this complex. Based on those drawings, my reddish plant would be bodegomii and the yellow flowered one straight praestans. Check it out.

Given that all the different "praestans"/"glanduliferums" are coming from all the scattered little islands around PNG and NW lowland PNG itself, I would expect to see a lot of minor variation like this from island to island similar to philipinense and lowii.

Too bad there are no records that go back to source collection sites.

Latest posts

Back