Paph. stonei x praestans

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Paph. stonei x praestans (Paph. Yellow Tiger)

I never know what to call this plant these days, as I'm aware that there's been some taxonomic shake up. But, regardless of what you want to call it, it lives up to the name Yellow Tiger, so I continue to call it that.

The plant is a good grower, nice and robust. It doesn't seem to demand high light to bloom like some of my other multies do. It is a big plant, so I struggle to find room under the lights for it, and when it spikes, it has to be moved off the stand entirely.

Three flowers is a pretty good show considering how large they are. I really love the yellow accents in the sepals, and the nice deep red pouch. I think these two species' characteristics combine quite well.

ZYbtA5El.jpg

jZELcpvl.jpg

kk8WJgil.jpg

The sheath first started peaking out of the crown back in October or November (seriously), and for awhile I thought it was a false alarm. Then the spike slowly started emerging. Around the end of February, it was a few inches above the foliage and starting to flop a bit, so I decided to stake it. Once it got to that size, it underwent rapid growth. Since I wasn't really paying attention, that first week after the growth spurt, the spike ended up getting that bend in it from the clip holding it to the stake. Lesson learned -- when staking an early spike, even if it had been growing slowly, observe daily and adjust.

That is nice. Really long petals and a nice tall spike with well spaced flowers. Beautiful healthy plant.

For what it is worth this cross is now called Stone Praetorian.

Beauty clone. New lession for you; fine the larger clips which grab the rod your staking to rather then clamping down onto the flower stem. I use the clips that have extra tabs or "teeth" on the inside next to the spring hing. They grab the stake and form a loose loop around the stem allowing the stem to elongate normally.

Edit: Another thing you might want to do is invest into 3 foot long metal rods from your local hardware store as stakes rather then the large diameter dowel rod. The clips hold better and the rod less noticeable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back