Paph Little Bright Eyes '#4'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice little mini Paph. Little Bright Eyes = niveum x Mary Zdilla. Mary Zdilla = exul x Tyke.

PaphLittleBrightEyes4.jpg

Ross, I was thinking lately that the whole mini-complex group needs a new judging category, right? Anyway, this little flower is another delightful addition!

Wow, really impressive. What really impresses me is how different this flower is to its ancestors: niveum x [exul x (henryanum x barbigerum)]. The pink henryanum color seems to dominate over the niveum "wash-out white" trait while the yellows and browns of the exul and barbigerum parents has vanished. The niveum has also lent itself to some lovely presentation.

As far as "complex" goes this is pretty simple and I think there is a lot of potential for "simple" hybrids using niveum and godefroyae/leuchochilum. I have a niveum (hasn't flowered yet, damn thing!) and a leuchochilum in the post. I'm going to be having a lot of fun in the future. :)

niveum "wash-out white" trait

I sort of disagree here. Niveum lends a white background and usually accepts color pretty well IMO. It doesn't have the high potential to enhance reds like godefroyae can, but it makes a nice palette. Consider Angela (x fairrieanum), Miss Faith Hanbury (x glaucophyllum), Peppermint (x adductum), Olivia (x tonsum), Vipanii (x philippinense), Drewettii (x lowii), etc all of which are white with lovely pink markings/overlay.

The browns can come through as reds/pinks. Consider barbigerum's dorsal sepal- green and tawny brown with a clean white border. Look back at Ross's pic above... white with pink overlay except for a clean border. Brown became pink. I love that! :)

Consider Angela (x fairrieanum), Miss Faith Hanbury (x glaucophyllum), Peppermint (x adductum), Olivia (x tonsum), Vipanii (x philippinense), Drewettii (x lowii), etc all of which are white with lovely pink markings/overlay.

:drool: Now, I wont get any work done today! :p

Well, in light of your explanation I must agree with you. I see we both agreed that this is a pretty cool and nifty trick which the niveum pulls in crosses.

I did some digging and found this thread:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16986

Seem the results are very variable. I like this one the best.

Paphreek, can we expect more pictures?

Agreeed!

Oh cool. I forgot Ross posted pix of other clones. I like the current on best too.

WOW, thats a beauty Ross. I agree, of the other 2 I saw posted, this is my favorite. It seems hard to find a nice clear "complex type" pink Paph. How many more of these do you have coming along?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back