concolor var.sulphurinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quietaustralian

Reaction score
This is the first plant to flower from some flasks I made some time ago. I'm more than happy with the results considering these are the first generation from wild plants. With about 40 sibs in bud I hope to select some nice plants for the next generation.

Attachments

• concolor sulph.jpg
    concolor sulph.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 122
Dear Quietaustralian,
congratulations for the nice clone.

But your plant is not Paph. concolor forma sulphurinum, it is the forma album.

The forma sulphurinum should have sulphur-yellow flowers and was described the first time 1888 by Reichenbach f. in the Gardeners' Chronicle as Cypripedium concolor var. sulphurinum.

These yellow clones are really very rare.

Best greetings

Olaf

Dear Quietaustralian,
congratulations for the nice clone.

But your plant is not Paph. concolor forma sulphurinum, it is the forma album.

The forma sulphurinum should have sulphur-yellow flowers and was described the first time 1888 by Reichenbach f. in the Gardeners' Chronicle as Cypripedium concolor var. sulphurinum.

These yellow clones are really very rare.

Best greetings

Olaf

I'm getting a little confused with these non spotted concolors. I might just call them concolor no-spots. One of the parents can e seen in this thread http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16318 The other parent is almost identical but with better form.
Regards, Mick

Dear Mick,
it is really a problem with these forma.
The oldest name is the sulphuric-yellow coloured form which was named 1888 as Cypripedium concolor var.sulphurinum.
1903 Pfitzer changed the name to Paph. concolor var. sulphurinum and I changed it 2001 to Paph. concolor forma sulphurinum.in 2000 Z.J LIU and J.Y. ZHANG described the same as Paph. concolor var. immaculatum.

1988 Guido Braem described the true white form as Paph. concolor var. album. 1998 the name was changed by BRAEM, BAKER and BAKER in Paph. concolor forma album.
So all true white clones are forma album and all yellow forma sulphurinum.

The question is only: Where is the border between these both?

The better name would be immaculatum (unspotted), but the old names are guilty and should be used.

For this time best greetings

Olaf

Lovely, what a great result of your work to propagate this species/variety/ forma.
I for myself see this bloom yellow colourated so I would stay with P. concolor var.sulphurinum.

I also see a yellow flower---nothing close to white---and I like the color very much. Do you have any whole-plant photos? I always like to see how the flower fits in with the entire plant: is it too big or too small?

The flower looks young to me, maybe it will open up more.

Beautiful flower! Would be interested to see the whole plant, too.
There are many P. concolor offered by different nurseries here in Thailand, but I have not seen this form yet.
Werner

Latest posts

Back