Paph. niveum & Paph Mystic Isle

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

Not exactly the best niveum but at least the only one I have managed to bloom... First time bloomer, so I think I will let it go for one or two season more... on the other hand, it is supposed to be 100% niveum (selfing of an awarded plant), but somehow I think it is not a true niveum...

Paphiopedilum niveum by kavanaru, on Flickr

This plant was originally sold as Paph niveum var. ang thong... once it bloomed I brought the pictures to the nursery and after several discussions they confirmed it was Paph. Mystic Isle... So, it has gotten that label, even though I am not 100% it is the right name... This is the second time it blooms and it has improved a lot (NS 8.5 cm - the first time it was only 5.5 cm!). The flower is not perfect, but somehow I like it...

Paphiopedilum Mystic Isle by kavanaru, on Flickr

Paphiopedilum Mystic Isle by kavanaru, on Flickr

One&half years ago... "Mystic Isle" on the left

Paphiopedilum Mystic Isle & Paphiopedilum Muriel Constance by kavanaru, on Flickr

Our connaisseurs (sorry for the french orthogr.) would say: too many spottings for a niveum; but for me nevertheless an fine brachy bloom on a good stem!!!
And interesting comparison for those Mistic Isle shots!!! Jean

Hi Ramon,
very nice pictures , but I think your Paph. niveum
is also not true to Name !

A]because Paph. niveum always has a solid yellow staminodium
B]the spotting or stippling on niveum is like fine pepper spots
C]most of the time the pouch is snow white without any stippling
Cliokchi

I think the stami color is close to correct white with yellow center. The spotting and petal shape says godfroyae to me.

hi Kavanuru,
sorry I Phrased it wrong, I should have said there's a fairly large yellow
marking on the staminodium instead of solid yellow, my apologies for creating confusion.
I attach some Paph. niveum line bred from our collection
kindest regards
cliokchi:eek::eek:
really? I think I have never seen a niveum with solid yellow staminodium... I agree that the stami of my plant does not look ver ymuch niveum, but I am a bit confused with the color decsription you are giving here... e.g. none of them here has a solid yellow staminodium: http://www.slipperorchids.info/paphspecies/index.html

Can you explain a bit more on that?

Attachments

• Paph. niveum .jpg
    Paph. niveum .jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Paph. niveum  a.jpg
    Paph. niveum a.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Paph. niveum b.jpg
    Paph. niveum b.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Paph. niveum c.jpg
    Paph. niveum c.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Paph. niveum d.jpg
    Paph. niveum d.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Paph. niveum e.jpg
    Paph. niveum e.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the comments!

Thanks, Cliokchi! That's now clear :) Actually, my plant do have a quite yellow spot on thestaminodium (unfortunately, not very obvious on that picture).. But I do agree that the rest of the flowers says "Not niveum" to me too...

Now to everybody: Do you really like the "Paph niveum" plant (First Pic)? Maybe I still need learn a lot more from what a good Brachy is, but I am not really convinced with that flower at all... I think the petals are just too large for the whole flower, giving it a weird look...

The second plant "Paph. Mystic Isle" (second and third Pic), even though a bit asymmetric and with dorsal turned slightly backward, fits more my taste....

There are so many niveum, godefroyae, blah blah blah, crosses etc around it's hard to know what's real or not. :mad:
That having been said, I'll take #3 cliokchi! :D

.....Now to everybody: Do you really like the "Paph niveum" plant (First Pic)? Maybe I still need learn a lot more from what a good Brachy is, but I am not really convinced with that flower at all... I think the petals are just too large for the whole flower, giving it a weird look.......
The first one is nice but no, IMO, it's not a niveum. The larger petals & elongated pouch say godefroyae to me, I'm with Rick! The consensus I get from reading the posts is none of us think either is pure niveum, both nice plants/flowers but X's. Could they both be Mystic Isle's? Mystic Isle = niveum x Greyi, Greyi = godefroyae x niveum, make sense?
Cliokchi has some gorgeous niveums but they're not typical for the species.

just bringing up this thread to read your opinion... I have finally received feedback from the vendor who made the cross of my "Paph niveum 'Graue' x Self". According to him, onl ytwo other plants of this cross has bloomed so far, and the both are something in between my plant and the mother plant, being somehow not 100% niveum but also not 100% not niveum (if you understand what I mean LOL)

ok, my question is about the mother plant (Paph niveum 'Graue') which was selfed and produced these "weird" looking plants.... do you think it is a true niveum or more "Paph Ang-Thong"? Picture below:

Paphiopedilum niveum 'Graue' by kavanaru, on Flickr - Picture shown here with authorization from the owner!

At least, you got flowers Ramón. I've had a niveum in my collection for years and it's been sulking all along. Grows a new leaf, lose an old leaf. Far from a reluctant bloomer and more like a reluctant grower. How do you grow these, everybody?

Latest posts

Back