Paph Angel Vein

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paph Angel Vein (S. Gratrix 'Cocker Spaniel' x fairrieanum)

Originally made by Kevin Porter in 1992, I remade it using a fairly large S. Gratrix that had somewhat droopy petals that immediately made me think of the ears of a cocker spaniel, hence the cultivar name. Because of the long petals, I thought it would be an ideal flower to cross with fairrieanum. Here is an old, nondigital picture of S. Gratrix 'Cocker Spaniel'. Unfortunately, the plant has passed on.
PaphSGratrixCockerSpaniel-1.jpg

Here is the first of its progeny to bloom:
Paph Angel Vein '7-10'

PaphAngelVein7-10.jpg

PaphAngelVeinplant.jpg

very successful cross Ross!!!! I like it a lot, the brachy dottings combined with the fairrie shape and that green coloring :clap: !!!! Jean

OH, WOW! That might be my favorite cross I've seen of yours, Ross!

:clap::clap: Really nice! Love the width of the base of the dorsal! Just goes to show if you know what your breeding goal is, you can use a less than ideal stud!

Hey Ross , that is nice; did you get a lot of plants from the cross? Any others in bud? How long did it take from cross to bloom?

I love it! The petals look so fuzzy, just like eyelashes along the edges!

Robert

Nice - makes me want to see more from the cross. Are there others getting ready to open soon?

Hey Ross , that is nice; did you get a lot of plants from the cross? Any others in bud? How long did it take from cross to bloom?

I have quite a few plants from this cross, but no others are in bud and most are just ready to come out of compots. The cross was made 9/01/2004 and the seed was harvested on 5/15/2005. This particular cross seemed to have difficulty establishing itself, but most are now growing well.

Back