Acker's Charm

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

and the red from the bess x class goes to Acker's Charm (Rosy Charm x Grande)! It had 3 flowers open on Sat. for judging & of course the 4th flower opened Sun.

Thanks guys for all the nice comments! I am very pleased & proud of this guy!
Rose, Rose, Rose! My, my, the Phrags you grow! Impressive, very impressive.:clap:
You're too kind - you haven't seen the ones I killed! It's funny, I have 2 plants of this cross, when one does well, the other does poorly, they bloom at seperate times, & always seem to recover quite well despite my errors!

the blooms are gorgeous!
The foliage is interestingly very tall and vertical
It is a big plant but has a small footprint, something I like alot too!

That's pretty, Rose! There must have been a lot of excellent competition to only have gotten a second place!
When one considers all the bess X's there are, I was actually quite pleased. I was really curious to see what the judges would think, the questionable Mt.Maid & this plant were side by side competing against one another! I think what knocked it down was the tips of the dorsals on both the older blooms were starting to brown at the edges. Some would say remove them but I decided to take my chances, if the new buds didn't open soon enough I would have nothing!:sob: This plant made a statement, as did the number of blooms on my other phrag, would have loved to been a fly on the wall! One also has to remember the judges could give more than one second place, probably not first as that would cause more decisions for best in class but there was a huge, beautiful Grande type cross that got that hands down! That same plant was pulled for awards but on the trip over an unopened bud broke off & the exhibitor thought, oh well & tossed it! The judges noticed it & said how do we know it wasn't a defected flower & was removed? Had he put the bud in the pot, it would have been awarded! :sob:

Back