Paph.vejvarutianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
This is vejvarutianum #2; #1 blasted for some reason. I grew it a little cooler this year hoping it would bring out a little more pink in the dorsal and it did. These were originally imported in batches of charlesworthii, pre-cites, but when they bloomed out, they turned out to be something entirely different, and were finally desrcribed as a new species by our own Olaf Gruss. They are fairly large plants for the group and seem to be pretty robust growers.

Attachments

• vejtwo0909.jpg
    vejtwo0909.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 76
Boy that is sweet Temam. Now, the question is, is this legal or illegal in the eyes of the US goverment? I mean, anyone can say they've had a plant for years (pre-cites) and it only took 20+ years to bloom it! Then it turned out to be something totally different then what it was bought as. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Boy that is sweet Temam. Now, the question is, is this legal or illegal in the eyes of the US goverment? I mean, anyone can say they've had a plant for years (pre-cites) and it only took 20+ years to bloom it! Then it turned out to be something totally different then what it was bought as. Do you see where I'm going with this?

But Rick.....this doesn't mean that they took 20 years to bloom. They could've bloomed every year since they were imported. It just took many years for them to find their way out of obscurity and be seen by a taxonomist........in this case, Olaf, who recognized that they were new to science and described them.

I've never heard of it which is no great surprise if it's a new species.

I really like it especially if it grows cool.......mmmmmmm new plant!

This species has a very interesting history because it was imported to Europe and USA more then 20 years ago as Paph. charlesworthii var kanchanaburi in trade. When I remember correctly then also advertisements for these plants were published in Orchid Digest and AOS Magazine. So there should be some legal plants also in USA.

2003 I had together with Lutz Röllke the possibility to describe these plants as a species und published it in Die Orchidee.
The plant looks like Paph charleswortii, also he bud, the flower looks more like a Paph. barbigerum.
So perhaps in the future it could be seen as a variety of Paph. barbigerum.
In the monocotlist it was shown as a synonym of Paph. rhizomatosum, but this is 'nonsens', because rhizomatosum is only the synonym of Paph. areeanum and so different from vejvarutianum especially in the plant and the roots.

Best greetings

Olaf

Tenman has been in the hobby long enough, likely with the faded old receipts squirreled away in that house of his. I am sure he can prove he bought it in the USA. I also had picked up Paph charlesworthii var kanchanaburi way back in the days of Ray Rands. Sadly my plant perished. I know for a fact Tenman has had this plant many years, we have been talking about what it could really be for decades.

Legal? Tenman is not an importer. He is not commercial. He bought the plant in the USA. So he committed no crime. As long as all peices of it he sells stay inside the USA, no federal agency needs ever to consider the question, as no export papers need to be issued. As long as they are labelled as a sub-species of charlesworthii or 'lumped' as a geographic variant of charlesworthii, there should be no problem. Similarly it could be 'lumped' under the name barbigerum, and there would be no problem.

So the answer to the Legal? question is: it depends upon where you want to send it and how you make out the label.

Thet're as legal as anything else that came in pre-cites. Does changing L.purpurata to C.purpurata change the legal status of a plant which came in in 1971?

The plants came in legally. Many things have come in legally legitimately labelled as something else. Album forms, split-off species, and others morpholigically similar to the batch they were in. In fact, pretty much everything that came in pre-cites is legal, regardless of how it was labelled.

Back