Mexipedium Xerophyticum '‘Oaxica’ CBR/AOS’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
From Fox Valley. Thanks Tom!

Mexipedium_xerophyticum-side.jpg

Mexipedium_xerophyticum.jpg

Hi Dot,

Congrats on blooming that beauty, and thanks for posting the beautiful photo. Phrag/Mex. xerophyticum is one of my favorites. To promote blooms, we add a tsp of powdered dolomite lime as a top dressing every March, because it is found on karst limestone in it's natural habitat, and let the plant dry out between waterings. Higher light levels - in the range of 2,000-2,500 fc - also seem to be required for regular blooming. I only wish we could get it to breed w other Phrags!

Thanks, Tom

Certainly a beauty, and great photography, too! I assume this is a first blooming for you -- how many growths does your plant have? I celebrated Cinco de Mayo by picking up one of these little guys yesterday! My plant only has one growth and one new start.

Great photography Dot. This is a pretty flower.

Mine is putting up buds now. We have the same clone so sharing pollen would be like a selfing.:(

I'll try to photograph the whole plant in a day or so, but it's still pretty small -- 4 growths (plus one that I accidently broke off, but am trying to start).

Tom, I'm growing mine in my basic slipper mix (diatomite & CHC), plus a top dressing of oyster shell. I have it growing under lights, with a window nearby. I water it once a week, unlike the Phrags which get watered 2x per week. So except for the light, it looks like our growing conditions are similar.

Yes, this is the first time it's bloomed. I can't get over how tiny the flower is.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

Latest posts

Back