Rot???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Orchid Boy

Reaction score
At the local show on March 2nd I got a Paph. delenatii v. dunkel in low bud from Sam Tsui. In the delenatii budwatch thread I posted pictures of when the spike just bent over and was brownish. It has lost 2 bottom leaves and is about to lose another leaf. When it loses a leaf, it starts getting yellow at the base and then brown at the base. Everything else I got from Sam is doing very well. This dunkel delenatii has shown no signs of growth. Will it survive? Should I contact Sam? How good is he a replacing plants? Picture(s) coming tomorrow...

Remove the leaf with rot and treat with a fungicide. It happen to me as well and I had to repot it in new medium. It has been shocked and it is in dormant state so keep the medium barely moist and give it good air movement with humidity in the 50-70% range. Keep it warmer and give it bright light!

It will take several months for it to grow new roots and new leaf. You have to be patience with this plant.

Took me a year for it to totally recover!

Bad update... The two leaves with the red arrows are gone. The big leaf on the left with the green arrow is going to go. I treated with fugicide and moved it much closer to the fan. What else can I do? I'm almost 100% sure that is is not going to survive. I saw one of the roots and it was looking kinda funny.

Bad update... The two leaves with the red arrows are gone. The big leaf on the left with the green arrow is going to go. I treated with fugicide and moved it much closer to the fan. What else can I do? I'm almost 100% sure that is is not going to survive. I saw one of the roots and it was looking kinda funny.

That is not good! Definitely root problem!

When I took the picture, most of the roots were totally fine. They were firm when I felt them but I wasn't sure about the dark color.

When I took the picture, most of the roots were totally fine. They were firm when I felt them but I wasn't sure about the dark color.

I bet you will be left with one leaf and it MIGHT survive by putting out a new growth that will put out new roots. A very slow process.

Well, I don't know if it's worth salvaging a delenatii dunkel in such a shape.

I'm afraid it's done for. With no roots and the disease still affecting the stem, it will likely die, and if doesn't, it will take years to come back to flowering size, if everything is right. I've been there.

When a small single growth Paph like that spikes, it is fairly common for the plant to very quickly collapse and die. 99% chance that is happening to yours. Don't get too bummed out, it's something that happens to all of us.

Suggest getting a flask when they become available, that way you can grow them up strong and you'll have a lot of the pack leaders too. Search for the threads of Paphman910--he grew a flask of these out to absolute perfection.

I don't think it collapsed because it was spiking. When it was in very low bud, I noticed 1 leaf was doing what I posted about.

I don't think it collapsed because it was spiking. When it was in very low bud, I noticed 1 leaf was doing what I posted about.

Being in low bud is the same stress as spiking. The process of blooming is all the same stress on the small plant. It might not even be because of the spike but just genetics that are ending the plants life. It happens.

Checked it today and all the rest of the leaves are rotted at the base. It can basically be counted as dead. Should I contact Sam?

Back