Strange behaving Phragmipedium dalessandroi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lars Pedersen

Hi

Can anyone tell me what is going on....

I imported 4 plants labeled Phragmipedium dalessandroi.

One of them turns out to become apron. 2 times the size of the others.
It puts up a stem now that is really ...REALLY big.

It is now a bit further, so I can see that in the first floral bract, a flower or a branch is forming.

....and what is even more puzzling is that a second stem - normal size - is emerging from the same point as the big one....???

More pictures will come when it becomes visible enough to photograph it.

.....anyone seen or heart of something like that before ?

postbilag.jpg

postbilag2.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the normal ones

postbilag3.jpg

Looks like dalessandroi or natural hybrid ?

:)
Lars

Wow! It certainly will be interesting to see what happens next. One thing sure, you got one strong dalessandroi.

:) I think babies got switched in the nursery, time for a blood sample!

Take the plant on the Maury Povich show. He can do a scandalous "Which of these three orchids is my baby's daddy?" special.

Disclaimer* This is only funny if you are familiar with daytime, U.S. television programs. And even then, it's not that funny.

John, wouldn't life be wonderful if Maury Povich actually did shows on orchids??!! :)

Here is a couple of more photos.

2015i.jpg

2025if.jpg

2032j.jpg

2033a.jpg

2034k.jpg

On the last one you can see - apart from the 2 new growths - the extra small spike comming up from basis.

Maybe it will turn out as the ones at the famous picture of the group from Jersey displayed as besseae ? (see here http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34367 )

More will come when it is more developed

:)
Lars

Certainly an exciting plant and an exciting time for you. I'm already very jealous. :p

The additional stem can be in reality a branching that has start growing down in the low part of the stem

Well it is developing...

looks like 5 flowers at one time.

And the more I study it I think it is a normal Phrag. dalessandroi, true to the type specimen described by Olaf Gruß.

Also, like Kyle points out, the leaves are very very wide and long.
Overall this is going to become a very big plant in the coming years.

fotohth.jpg

Here it is in the windowsill .... in cat safe hight :) with more Phrags and Paphs.

:wink:
Lars

This thing is enormous compared to my unflowered ''flowering size'' dalessandroi. How big was it when you bought it? :smitten:

Wrong thread Eric. But I really was thinking of the safety of the cat...!:evil:

Latest posts

Back