Paph. rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Congrats on the first bloom roth! Such nice color too!! Great growing as usual! Do you still alter your ph to 6.5 btw?

Thank you. Yes I always try when I can. I use Nitric acid these days as opposed to phosporic acid.

Now where can we buy nitric acid here in canada? I had one i bought in 2009 but i disposed it already thinking its already expired!

It's hard to get nitric acid because of the crazies. But the hydroponic store carries them. You can buy 15% diluted. but it really doesn't matter what you use for reducing ph. It's just easier what is available to you. You can even use citric acid. Kelp also reduces ph so I think its slightly acidic.

Thanks so much for wonderful comments.

Thanks, I was using plant prod 25-10-10 until summer last year but I ran out so I am now using plant prod 20-20-20 as I want to finish it up before buying another one. 50-60 ppm per gallon. They are fertilizers with urea.

After seeing how well your plants are grown and reading some feedback from Xavier, i started using 30-10-10 urea fertilizer last year and had great results for my roths--very green leaves and strong growth. I do alternate with K-lite every other feeding. this winter i have been using the K-lite more than the urea, though, to boost Calcium and keep the plants firm throughout the winter--and i have had nice growth thru the entire cold season.

I'll go back to emphasizing the hotter urea fert when the spring growth spurt comes.

btw i've had great results from the kelp additive as well.

Thanks, I was using plant prod 25-10-10 until summer last year but I ran out so I am now using plant prod 20-20-20 as I want to finish it up before buying another one. 50-60 ppm per gallon. They are fertilizers with urea.

Urea you say. Hmm I should try this too on some of my roths, Xavier is a urea fan too and he doesn't like the MSU fertilizer either. Just changed my lights with more blue parts in 440nm and the difference of growth was much improved within only one month, especially the roots are going crazy. The MSU fertilizer never changed much at all :mad:

What a beauty!

There is so much contradictory info about fertilizers and PH, it makes my head spin!

I agree, my irrigation and feed water that i use is crap as well compared to the standards ~469 TDS... not including the nutrients.

http://www.regina.ca/opencms/export...edia/pdf/2012-drinking-water-quality-data.pdf

I didn't mean to turn this thread as a nutrition discussion sorry. But for anyone who's interested. As you see the PDF there is a significant amount of Ca and Mg in the water.

What a beauty! Clearly I don't need to mention anything about the color intensity, that's been covered! What about the leaf span? I really am impressed by the up-right growth you have achieved.

The whole plant deserves to be exposed so that everyone could understand what "healthy paph." means. :clap::clap:

Congrats!

It measured 25" across. Relatively compact with the other crosses. Some of my crosses reaches up to 32" across. I am a bit worried about the space now.

Latest posts

Back