Paph Iantha Stage

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Well here is a sukhakulii hybrid that did turn out correct. :)

I have a large Iantha Stage I bought 5 or more years ago that just keeps growing and growing but just won't flower. At the end of last year I gave up on it and bought 2 more within a week. Within a couple of months this one put up a spike. Iantha Stage is a great cross. Big, bold flowers on a small plant. You just have to find a clone that will flower.

Paph Iantha Stage (rothschildianum x sukhakulii)

ianthastage2012com3.jpg

ianthastage2012com.jpg

ianthastage2012com2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I like that! Great dorsal. That's the nicest Iantha Stage I've ever seen. I had a really good, awarded one once; but, I didn't really like it....too round.

Wow! I like that! Great dorsal. That's the nicest Iantha Stage I've ever seen. I had a really good, awarded one once; but, I didn't really like it....too round.

Thanks John. The only real negative is the petals. They are not held flat. You might be able to see it in the first photo where the petals bend inwards. Have a look at petal from the top flower pointing towards the camera (you can see the back of the petal). But the dorsal is a knockout.

Last edited:
Very nice David. Great looking plant and such nice lighting in the photo. Are the edges of the dorsal lined in white? Or is that just the lighting?

Bill

Very nice David. Great looking plant and such nice lighting in the photo. Are the edges of the dorsal lined in white? Or is that just the lighting?

Bill

Thanks Bill. No, the dorsal isn't lined with white. That look is a result of backlighting. The dorsal edges are a little more transparent. Gives it a bit of a halo affect.

That's a beautiful example of this cross, great dorsal and nice positioning of the petals (even with the small problem you describe :)), fine colors and design!!!! And very strong pics again :clap: !!!! Jean

Nice and great photos. Is this one of the newcomers or did the old one get jealous and bloom?!

No, this is one of the newcomers. No sign of the old one flowering. A beautiful big plant with many huge growths. But it just never flowers. It sounds like it is from very old British breeding (sukhakulii "Leopard Lady" x rothschildianum "Kew") which would explain its difficulty in flowering. I chilled it shortly last year but that didn't help. Autumn is coming up so I think I will give it an extended period in the cold and see if that helps.

Great PICs. Overall nice flowers as well. The petals bother me just a bit David. They seem narrower then they should be for the overall flower.

Latest posts

Back