Zelenkoncidium Thunderhead 'Zelenkoncidium'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
I am 99.999% sure this name is incorrect, due to the parent species being reclassified. That being said....

It's a fairly compact oncidium alliance plant with very large, brightly colored flowers, so I love it. The fragrance is strong. It reminds me of very high quality extra virgin olive oil. I know that sounds weird, but it's wonderful.

It's been in bloom for at least a month now, but I've just now gotten my lazy butt to take some photos now that some of the blooms are starting to fade.

kiS8wgVl.jpg

CJfHC0Pl.jpg

What I like most about this plant, aside from the wonderful fragrance, is that this looks like a "classic" oncidium, except the petals are of a proportionally large size instead of reduced vestiges like so many oncidiums. It almost reminds of a rossioglossum cross.

I'll take some pics (maybe tomorrow) of the bulbs/foliage. The growths remind me of a mule ear oncid, but the leaves aren't as thick and fleshy. It's dark and late now, and I'm a tad too lazy to dig the camera out for another shot right now.

Actually, when I tried to lookup the parentage of the plant, I think I recall seeing the new nomenclature. I agree, it's difficult to spell and remember for that matter, so I stuck with the name on the tag. Next thing you know, it'll be reclassified as vanda (joking).

that is a ridiculous name - no hope of fluently pronouncing that in English!
I don't think the aim of taxonomy is to make genus pronounceable in English.:poke:

As a non-native English speaker I'm rather glad not everything in the world is set in terms of English language imperialism.:evil::clap: I see more than enough unnecessary English all day long.

Now to get back on the subject, there's a spelling error in the (wrong) genus and the cultivar (logical as it's the same). And the (right) genus is even cooler. :D Could it be corrected? Pretty please :noangel:

D'accord, but what is the ancestry of this beautiful cross? Zelenkoa onustum and ...?

it's Nohawenkoa Alohi (Nohawilliamsia pirarense x Zelenkoa onusta) x Gomesa Cloud Ears (Grafo x Enderanum).

Gomesa Grafo = gravesiana x forbesii
Gomesa Enderanum = imperatoris-maximiliani x curta

You don't like Nohawilliamsia? LOL

I don't think the aim of taxonomy is to make genus pronounceable in English.:poke:

As a non-native English speaker I'm rather glad not everything in the world is set in terms of English language imperialism.:evil::clap: I see more than enough unnecessary English all day long.
:

But can you pronounce it in fluent French!:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

We wont get into the global dominance of English.:D:evil:

I can Ozpaph :evil: bwahahahahaha

Gonewild it's not! Scientific names are not localized, precisely to be the same for everyone. And in this case it's the mix of Zelenko(a) and (On)cidium, not Zelenk(oa) and Oncidium. Get the trick? ;)

I can Ozpaph :evil: bwahahahahaha

Gonewild it's not! Scientific names are not localized, precisely to be the same for everyone. And in this case it's the mix of Zelenko(a) and (On)cidium, not Zelenk(oa) and Oncidium. Get the trick? ;)

You must be a linguist to get your tongue around some of these 'new' genera names.

Even if I indeed had a go in linguistics, its sounds are easy to pronounce in French and the slavic names are not an unknown territory.

My personal nemesis are the variation around warscewiczii, the polish spelling is a nightmare… (next to Czech and Magyar)

If you want, I discovered today we have a genus called Rossimilmiltonia.:poke:

:rollhappy:

Sorry, I haven't forgotten about foliage pics, but I've been tied up the past few days. It will happen.

No I can't correct the spelling. There's no way to change the title of a thread.

6UBnygp.jpg

I took this foliage pic awhile back, and sure enough, forgot about it until I was taking some photos today. It's out of spike now, but throwing out new growths and new roots.

Back