Yellow complex (Hellas x Amber Chrome)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
First bloom for me, though it is an older plant. Paph (Hellas 'Westonbirt' FCC/RHS x Amber Chrome)

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes pictures lie.
It really looks award quality here:
(Hellas x Amber Chrome)630-Jan-2010c.jpg

The side view shows what the problem is, the flower is cupped, which really shrinks the natural spread of the flower.

(Hellas x Amber Chrome)630-Jan-2010b.jpg

The ruler also tells the rest of the tale, barely 9.0 cm natural spread, a very pleasing flower, but a bit small for this type of complex breeding. It might improve on the next blooming. I give it one more chance.

(Hellas x Amber Chrome)630-Jan-2010a.jpg

I love paphs in these colours! In my eyes, the cuppiness is still in the acceptable range. And yes, it is slightly undersized with this diameter. Lovely thing to have in the collection, still.
You know who made the cross? Worth registering?

Oh, the soft colors are wonderful!

Many of the older bulldogs are quite cupped. It is the norm for them. Species in the background contributed that. Look at pics of Amanda 'Joyance', King of Sweden, all of that group. It's not always obvious from a front pic. I am guessing this one will bloom out the same next time. Not a problem in my book.

Thanks Tenman, the more I look at it the more I like it. I do prefer the flatter flower & rounder form myself. I think I'll probly settle on this as a 'keeper'.

Carsten, I do not know who made the cross, Amber Chrome was registered around 1976, so it likely is a more recent cross. I will try to find out who made the cross, I won't try to register the cross myself.

Latest posts

Back