wich one would you say is 'Rarer'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngslipper

Reaction score
I have a fondness for the rare plants and i would like to know which one of the following would you say is 'rarer'?
Paph. esquirolei
Paph. druryi
Paph. stonei fma. alboflavum
Paph. vejvarutianum

Paph. stonei fma. alboflavum rarest under every point of view

for the others...the question must distinguish:
rare in the wild and
rare in cultivation...

I think can be more or less like this(no way to be 100% correct):
rare in the wild :
Paph. druryi
Paph. vejvarutianum
Paph. esquirolei

rare in cultivation:
Paph. vejvarutianum
Paph. druryi
Paph. esquirolei

I would also think stonei. Only ever seen one photo. But i would like rarest in cultivation. How would you consider the vejvarutianum, worth growing?

It depends on where you are at in the world, although if you happen to stumble across a sanderianum album in your search for rare paphs, be sure to private message me, I'll buy it off you!!!

Don't sell it to him for less than 30 grand :p

I think a rothschildianum album would go for about the same price!

speaking of album's. I wonder if anyone has ever tried mutation breeding on orchids. This is a technique used in some plant species, like Poinsettia's where they take cuttings of a good selected clone, and stick it in a chamber and bombard it with radiation (I believe low dosages of gamma rays). what you get is point mutations, where only a few genes mutate. IF you are lucky enough some of these are color genes. The original Poinsettia cuttings are usually all red, but after they mutate, you get pinks, marbled, variegated, and whites (aka albino's). I am wondering if this would work on Paph's or Phrag's as a way to get albino plants...can you imagine having an albino roth, sanderinaum, kovachii or other species...

hmm...maybe I should build a radiation chamber...

Robert

Seems like too much hassle :p. Besides, we just saw the first albino St. Swithins, so let's start on the road to making albinos of the other roth hybrids. :)

Mutation breeding

Robert
Probably the easiest way to induce mutations in plants is to irradiate the seeds.
This is a common practise in plant breeding to increase variation.
If you put a Roth pod through this there is a chance of producing an albino seedling or two plus a whole heap of runts.
Maybe worth a punt if the alba Roth is worth so much,
David

Back