Who wants to buy this? :P

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Just kidding.. Shipping would cost a bomb.. :p Here's the big baby of my collection:
IMG_6946.jpg

The tiger orchid (Grammatophyllum speciosum) - I grew this one from a 3-inch seedling for 7 years. This one is 2 meters tall and the pot is 40cm diameter for size reference. Grows like a weed, but until now, only managed to give me 1 miserable mutated flower (no lip) on a freak blooming.. Sigh..

That's a very nice plant even without flowers! I would take it if I'd have more space.

Hmmm, I guess I should take the one in the Rutgers greenhouse out of a basket and put it in a pot....it doesnt quite look like yours. Bravo! :clap:

Hahaha... Thanks guys... :) I'm too lazy to repot it. Some of the members in my society say to flower this, it has to be placed in a permanent spot which receives a lot of sun.

There seem to be 2 different type of vegetative habits of the tiger orchid. One has shorter, much leafier stems (the leaves at the base of the pseudobulbs are retained in old age), whereas the other type has tall lanky canes which are mostly leafed at the upper half (like mine). I believe the short stubby one is more common in Hawaii and skinny ones might come from countries where a dry season is experienced (I have seen pics of it blooming in-situ in places like Thailand).

Latest posts

Back