Which Restrepia to get?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have Restrepia antennifera, guttulata and trichoglossa (the latter is still pushing out flowers, it started in December!). Ecuagenera is coming to SA in September and have a substantial list of plants available:
aristulifera
brachypus
condorensis
contorta
cuprea
cymbula
elegans
ephippium
falkenbergii
iris
lansbergii
mendozae
muscifera
purpurea

I would like to have Restrpia in bloom through out the year and would like to get some information regarding flowering time. Here is my flowering periods with the species I currently have based on the S. hemisphere flowering time. Where would elegans fit in? I'm really interested in brachypus and it slots in as shown (in theory).
S. Hemisphere/N. Hemisphere
January/July: R. trichoglossa (cuprea) (falkenbergii)
February/August: R. trichoglossa (cuprea) (falkenbergii)
March/September: R. trichoglossa (cuprea) (falkenbergii)
April/October: (elegans) (cuprea) (falkenbergii)
May/November: (elegans) (cuprea) (falkenbergii)
June/December: (brachypus) (elegans)
July/January:
August/February:
September/March: R. antennifera & guttulata
October/April: R. antennifera & guttulata
November/May:
December/June: R. trichoglossa (brachypus)

IOSPE says brachypus flowers in winter and summer. Just for a few weeks or does it flower over a month or more? IOSPE says elegans flowers from fall to early winter so that is nice. Is my guess for cuprea about accurate? Which species would flower from July--September/January--March? Can anyone suggest some species which would bloom over those time periods?

I have dodsonii, antenifera and cuprea. Cuprea blooms constantly throughout the year. It would be my recomendation.

I agree about cuprea. It's my favorite.

It's also one of the biggest flowers of the genus too.

It's a bit more sensitive to warmer temps than some of the others, but still a lot more tolerant than any Dracula.

Definitely put it at the top of your list.

My first thought before seeing the other replies is cuprea. So another vote in that column. :D

if i hadn't seen a photo of a Restrepia cuprea in a {i think} brooklyn botanic garden book of orchids and if it hadn't looked to me so much like a caricature of a chicken that i giggled, i probably wouldn't be growing orchids today

Buy them all! :crazy:

There's a few that are relatively big plants for Restrepia (muscifera types I think) but have bitty flowers on the backside of the leaves. Very disappointing, but maybe rewarding to a true Restrepia connoisseur.

Then about 1/3 all look like trichoglossa/antenifera (yellow w/red stripes), I don't know how many of those you can take after getting one of them. The landsburgii/dodsonii theme is also common (pink with intense red spotting), so pick the available one for you and it will cover another 1/2 dozen species.

Back