when you think it's malipoense, but it's not...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Bought this from Norito Hasegawa in person back in 2004 and now it is finally blooming for the first time. It is Norito Hasegawa x malipoense album, but you'd be hard pressed to tell it apart from a straight malipoense!

MalipoenseHybrid.jpg

It even has the raspberry scent.

This image BTW was made with a freeware program called GIMP. It is a free alternative for manipulating photos...maybe not quite so easy to use at first, but the results are pretty damn convincing to my eyes.

Last edited:
What did you manipulate in the photo?

Eric, every photo I take is changed for internet display, most notably size. Also important are light level adjustments, cropping, brightness/contrast, and since the photo is reduced, it needs to be sharpened as well. GIMP is an interesting free alternative to expensive products such as Photoshop.

Beautiful flower, Tom.

It will be interesting to see how GIMP serves you. I've heard of this program, but haven't ever seen it. I'm a die-hard Photoshop lover, but if Photoshop continues to grow in expense, who knows...

Beautiful flower, Tom.

It will be interesting to see how GIMP serves you. I've heard of this program, but haven't ever seen it. I'm a die-hard Photoshop lover, but if Photoshop continues to grow in expense, who knows...

Me too Dot, but I tell you, just give it a try. There is a learning curve to be sure, but even though I didn't read anything about using it and I managed to spin out this shot a few others in less than an hour. And the best part, IT'S FREE!

To review and download GIMP check out this url.

Me too Dot, but I tell you, just give it a try. There is a learning curve to be sure, but even though I didn't read anything about using it and I managed to spin out this shot a few others in less than an hour. And the best part, IT'S FREE!

To review and download GIMP check out this url.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

In your second photo, the substance of the flower looks like it has picked up something from armeniacum, too. All in all, a very nice flower!

I agree with Rick, in that the yellowish cast in the green is what you get from the armeniacum. Also, though it is hard to describe, the shape is just a little off for malipoense. I bet if you set the plant down on a bench with a dozen malipoense - it would be noticable as the one that is a little different.

Latest posts

Back