what are these shiny brown moving spheres!!!???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MoreWater

They sit still all day, but come dusk they move around pretty quickly. They are on two cork mounts in my office case, but are also spreading. wah!

I did a soap dunk and an orthene WP bath on Sunday and got rid of quite a lot, but they are still there.... I also found a mealie (where there's one there's....) and a couple of other things with wings.

Attempts at mugshots below. The photos contain cork, ang root, and bug/pest/shiny brown thing.

I can't get in any closer than this. Maybe I should find my loupe (it's rolling around the floor of my car somewhere).

I'm not at work, btw. For the record. I've got some volunteer newsletter stuff to do now.

They look like what plum scale sounds like - that stuff they have out in hawaii and Cal (where the mounts came from). Any thoughts?

Are they damaging your plants?

The million dollar question. I wish I knew.

They are about 1/8" in diameter. Like mealies, they don't move most of the time, but around dusk they get around. They are mostly on the cork, but I also see them on the roots and leaves (esp. around dusk), and now I have some on the leaves of a gesneriad underneath. I'm just waiting for things to explode in there. The fact that it survived an orange cleaner bath (mealies, larvae, ants and spiders die from it) and orthene is not a good sign.

I have those black 'things' too, and I was suspecting them being eggs of slugs!!?? Is that possible?? :eek:Jean:eek:

I think slug eggs are milky colored and they don't "crawl" along Angrecoid roots. I hope.

Will try to remember to take alcohol to the office tomorrow. I think a bottle of Lagavulin might do the trick. ;)

:confused: My guess would be in the snail or scale family??? As Dot asked - are they doing any damage?

Latest posts

Back