we're hammered with snow!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

:(Not a good sign when the snow drifts across your front & back doors are 3-4 feet deep! The 40-60 mph winds were the killer, we're slowly digging out. The town to the northeast of us are reporting 24".
So how did you fare?

We got pasted with freezing rain here - about 30 miles north of Philadelphia, close to the Delaware River. I have a tree down on top of the house (fortunately no roof damage), a back yard littered with branches, and we lost power about 6:15. Let's hear it for a backup heater in the greenhouse!!! Got it back about 8:30.

There are still trees falling occasionally, and there's a small herd of deer (7) that keep running back and forth between our yard and the two adjacent ones, trying to avoid them.

I feel guilty as we look out on clear blue skies in northwestern lower Michigan. For once the rest of the country is getting weather we are used to . Except for the ice-- that is really scary. Hope everyone is okay. Its a good time to stay in and smell the orchids!

Hope everyone stays safe. This was a monster storm- even Dallas airport was closed for awhile yesterday. We had ice yesterday, and a little snow today-temp should go up to 30F,down to 15 tonight. It's a great day to stay home!

We didn't get the freezing rain here, but we did get a good accumulation of sleet. Probably about 10" of accumulation of snow and sleet.

We had about 12 inches, with lots of blowing and drifting. For the first time in many, many years, Michigan State University and Lansing Community College both cancelled all classes. Even the State Legislature shut down -- first time ever, I think. We finally finished digging out our driveway about 5:00 this afternoon, after the local farmer drove his tractor and plow down our road. Otherwise, the road was so drifted in, the only vehicles that could go down it were snowmobiles and big pick-up trucks.

I think Chicago got it worst, from all the news stations reports.

I spent the day lugging potting materials from the basement to the greenhouse, and doing some cleaning in the basement. Still much more to do before the move is complete

they had originally predicted that we would get up to 15" of snow, then 10, then it was more like 6 or 7 and maybe a few inches tonight. had some sleet middle of the day for a while but nothing freezing on, thankfully!

I'm getting used to the permanent mountains of snow, unpassable street corners, and rare sporadic garbage pick-ups. But today was ice!!! I'll take any amount of snow over walking a mile to work on ice. Fortunately, I have these metal straps that attach to my boots, basically ice cleats. I walked to work without any problems, at a normal pace, watching everybody slowly crawl their way inch by inch.

We were just on the extreme northern edge of the storm and only got around three inches of snow. Our consolation prize was two days of sub zero temps, bottoming out at -20F. The plants have really enjoyed two straight days of sun, though.

Tennessee lucked out on this one. Just some more cold, and not even as bad as Dallas and OK city. A few snow flurries this morning. West towards Memphis, they had some high winds that caused a fair amount of damage from falling trees, etc..

Actually I was supposed to be flying up for some work in Chicago/Gary today, but obviously no one is going anywhere fast right now.

Pictures from Chicago from later today looked clear so maybe things will be adequately dug out by tomorrow (for when my flights are rescheduled:()

Latest posts

Back