Weeping Phrag....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

FlowerFaerie

Hi everyone,
Last winter I fell in love with a beautiful Phrag Mont Remon (Phrag Nicholle Tower x Mem Dick Clements) which I brought home from an orchid show. It has been growing happily all summer, now having a leafspan of almost 30" and taking over the windowsill. (S/E window with nets)
Over the past few days it seems to be "weeping" a few droplets of water from the edges of some of the leaves. The plant itself looks very healthy & has plenty of root growth.
Can anyone tell me what this is about? Could it be an idiosyncrasy for this particular variety/parentage?
Please don't tell me it's lonely.... I haven't room for another this size! ;)

You don't say where you live or when this happens. I would guess in the morning and there is some condensation on the leaves closest to the window. If the window sill is cold enough and the plant is well watered as it should be, I could see this happen. B/w. welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you for the welcome, and the reply, Shiva.
I won't start panicking yet, then... this is my first Phrag, and I want it to do well. I love to have an orchid that I can water without fear :rollhappy:
I am in North Dorset, UK. I notice the droplets most in the morning, but have seen some later in the day, too. (I'm wiping them off with a moist tissue) A max/min thermometer next to the plant shows temps from 17 C at night to 24-26+ C daytime, and humidity around mid-70s% .

That's normal for all Phrags in the winter months. Don't worry about it. As a fact, its a good sign. It shows the plant is well watered.

Hi everyone,
Last winter I fell in love with a beautiful Phrag Mont Remon (Phrag Nicholle Tower x Mem Dick Clements) Please don't tell me it's lonely.... I haven't room for another this size!
Wow! EYOF breeding. Very difficult to get here in the USA. Please post a photo if you have any. I hope the moisture doesn't have any brown on the leaves. That could be a problem. Unfortunately a lot of Phrags do get very big leaves. Try to look for some of the smaller (schlimii based) hybrids. http://woodstreamorchids.com/phragmini.html

Unfortunately I didn't get any pics as my camera was broken - typical! But when it flowers again, I will be sure to take some. That gives me time to open a photo account somewhere, too. Something I haven't got around to before. (I think there is one pic on Google.)

There are smaller Phrags? Wow! :drool: Too much temptation for one woman to resist. Someone restrain me, please...

Unfortunately I didn't get any pics as my camera was broken - typical! But when it flowers again, I will be sure to take some. That gives me time to open a photo account somewhere, too. Something I haven't got around to before. (I think there is one pic on Google.)

There are smaller Phrags? Wow! :drool: Too much temptation for one woman to resist. Someone restrain me, please...

Don't count on me! :evil:

Are the droplets on the top or underneath the leaves? If underneath, the droplets are likely excess sugar. Not to worry about, either -- most orchids do this.

Thank you for all the replies. I feel much more confident about my Phag now (and among fellow addicts, too, which is wonderful. :clap: )

You're not growing in a greenhouse and you (probably) don't let it get cold either.
Should I let it get cold? That could easily be arranged in my house. I thought I had to keep a room warm for it in winter...:confused:

Are the droplets on the top or underneath the leaves? If underneath, the droplets are likely excess sugar.
The droplets are on the edges of some of the larger leaves. They don't taste sweet. (I don't usually taste my orchids, honest!)

Yoyo_Jo, I am in Dorset, UK.

NYEric Those "mini-Phags" look beautiful. Fortunately for my bank balance, I can't see anywhere in UK that sells them...... yet! :wink:

THen it better be condensation. Please post a photo when you get the chance. A source for small Phrags in EU is K. Wubben; and check w/ Rattecliffe and Popow also. .

Latest posts

Back