Urgently need advices for my paph x phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I discussed two weeks ago with one of the judges that has seen Phragmipaphium Hane's Magic. He is one of the most skilled breeders anyone can think of, and for him it was sure that the plant was not a pure paph or a pure phrag. The chromosomes were those of a paph, but with some 'abnomalities' that were never explained - anyway it was in the early days, so chromosome counting was possible, to check if some satellite dna was around and could make up for a difference was out of question -

He told me that no paph parents could have done such an hybrid... The plant died some years later, but was growing quite vigorously before...

I think genetically it's quite possible, look at the lion/tiger hybrid! :eek:
I think in a way it would be the best of both worlds but...there could be some real hideons!!

Its hard to imagine...the chromosomes are so completely different...lions and tigers are still in the same genus (Panthera) and separated by a few million years of evolution...but paphs and phrags have very different chromosomes, and are not only in different genera but geographically isolated for many million years of evolution. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back