upstate fall colors 1

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
two weeks ago there were a good number of trees that had some nice colors, so I started taking some pics within a few miles of my apartment. last week the colors were nicer so took some more on a nice, sunny day. this last weekend I took the state thruway to syracuse, and the trees were beautiful along the highway but of course I didn't bring my camera and you aren't supposed to stop along the road except for emergencies. there were lots of dark reds, bright oranges and yellows, with a few trees that just don't change color very much.

fallcolor1010a.JPG

sheared maple trees in front of a church

fallcolor1010b.JPG

fallcolor1010c.JPG

dogwood? leaves

fallcolor1010d.JPG

sumac

fallcolor1010e.JPG

looks like dogwood berries

fallcolor1010f.JPG

berries and goldenrod seed

fallcolor1010g.JPG

fallcolor1010h.JPG

phragmites stalks/seed heads (invasive species from asia, I think)

fallcolor1010i.JPG

dogwood berries and grape vines

fallcolor1010j.JPG

caterpillar known as the 'wooly bear', often seen trundling across highways this time of year (I encouraged this one to walk to the side of the road so that it and I wouldn't be hit by passing cars)

fallcolor1010k.JPG

chicory flowers

fallcolor1010l.JPG

winged euonymous in someone's front yard (also aptly called 'burning bush')

fallcolor1010m.JPG

a honeybee was fascinated with my leg; didn't want to land, though maybe all the hair was preventing that! ;) (or it was all the sunlight bouncing off that was disorienting it...)

fallcolor1010n.JPG

dried stalks of corn (cow corn used for cattle feed)

I have more pictures, but I have to merge some of them so I'll put them into another post

Last edited:
Great colours and photos!!!! Thank you!!! The incidents with wildlife (caterpillar, bee...) were funny... :D

Thanks Charles, I love fall colors, and then I like the architechtural structure of the bare branches. Just don't like the cold.

:) the bee wasn't trying to land, but was still fascinated with my leg for some reason (maybe the smell of the soap I used that morning?). being a honeybee, I wasn't too concerned with it's thinking about stinging me. I've taken pictures of flowers with them feeding inches away and they weren't concerned at all

It is amazing how mother nature blankets herself with a crazy quilt of colors before she lays down that white blanket.

I went to the limestone hollow nature center area with ken hull and his photography friend art clark. I naturally didn't bother to carry my camera into one of the areas we were going and there were tons of berries and such that were very interesting. I borrowed a few pictures from art that are posted below

artspic1010a.JPG

at chicago bog we found this witch hazel already in flower

artspic1010b.JPG

maple-leaf viburnum and berries

artspic1010c.JPG

was told that this was winterberry. bright red berries!

artspic1010d.JPG

there were tons of these short bushes of grey dogwood, filled with these white berries at one area in limestone hollow

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back