Two Lovely Phrags on a cold December day

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Each year I visit Ron Burch at his lovely home up in the Litchfield Hills of northwest Connecticut. He and his wife Barbara are wonderful hosts and fascinating people. That's the good news, the bad news is that Ron's burgeoning Cyp collection is asleep for the winter, so I have to be happy with looking at flasks of seedlings....

This time though, he had a couple nice Phrags in flower, P. Belle Hougue Point and P. Mont Fallu.

Here's the Belle. I was surprised at the size and lovely colors of this cross. A real winner! She is lovely coming or going...

PhragBelleHouguePoint.jpg
PhragBelleHouguePointSynsepal.jpg

The Mont Fallu was lovely too, I mean, how can you resist those petals? Ron said that he was away when this flower opened and unfortunately a leaf of the Belle was directly under the petals as they grew, so, you guessed it, they are much shorter than they could have been. He said this plant is a near weed.

PhragMontFallu.jpg

One more - an interesting plant you don't see often, the terrestrial Stenorhynchus speciosa, a tropical American species closely related to the Florida native Sacoila lanceolata. Here it is in bud.

StenorhyncusSpeciosa.jpg

Both Phrags were really impressive, but they are such huge plants! Too bad since I have very little space to grow such things...

Very nice plants and flowers. I particularly love the scarlet red of the Stenorhynchus speciosa even in bud.

Very nice pictures - thought that mont fallu had shorter petals isn't it Grande backcrossed with longifolium?

Latest posts

Back