two fairrieanums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labskaus

Reaction score
I'd like to show you two fairrieanums here.

The first is my own absolutely average fairrie. It is a first flowering, Taiwanese bred plant with no parents named. Flower opened in early Novembre and is still fine today. I like the clear patterning of the dorsal.

20090220-143719-234.jpg

The second isn't mine :sob: It's been on the judging table in January and I think it has a pretty damn dark dorsal. Took a Bronze Medal ("thanks for showing") since everything else was average on it.

20090220-144439-613.jpg

enjoy,

best wishes, Carsten

Carsten,

I much prefer your plant. The shape is better and the colours more defined.

Further more, I am very envious of you. I want a fairrieanum too. :-(

I can agree with Tyrone!! The 2nd one seems darker in color, but your's dorsal netting is the one I prefer!!! Jean

Species

Good example - Lets get back to showing good or super species - j

Hello Carsten,

as you said yours is an average fairrieanum not very good but also not bad, but the second one is less than average. It wasn't worth any awarding at the utmost a consolation price.

Best regards from germany, rudolf

Great both of them, but I think I like the second more because of the slightly darker dorsal...:)

I love farrianums! Yours is very nice! I too, love the dark dorsal of the second one, but the rest of the bloom is distorted. ;)

The awarded one would of been passed over in the states, I believe. Very poor form IMO
Rick (and Rudolf), I agree this fairrienanums only strong point was that dark dorsal. In our judging system, we are pretty strict towards the higher end, but we certainly let too many plants through at the low end.
Plants do not get pre-screened here, judges vote anonymously in one single large panel and often feel sorry to pass over a plant. Highly unfair to quality plants that really deserve the award. And hard to avoid in our system, maybe a matter of training.

Thanks for all the nice comments on my plant!

best wishes, Carsten

Carsten- I think that if you kept your "average" fairreanum as cool as possible the next time it blooms, you'll find that the dorsal is much darker. And your "average" plant looks great to me! Eric

Thanks Eric! I haven't seen a "bad" fairrie yet, even the bad ones are beautiful. And the good ones, like those posted here recently, are just awsome.
My GH went down to 10°C at night for some time (now 14°C), day temps reach 20°C. That's cool enough to initiate flowering, and I am too lazy to carry individual plants to the cold department (4°C-10°C) and back.

Best wishes, Carsten

wow. 10°C, I did not know they like to be that cool. My first bloomer didn't get those low temps
I do like the netting on your plant's dorsal. Mine did even get nice netting like that

Latest posts

Back