tonsum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That enormous flower looks amazing coming from such a tiny plant. That's a really nice clone of tonsum. It has excellent shape. One of the nicer clones I have seen. What is its background?

That does look like a nice big flower against the relatively small plant Gary. The foliage pattern is also very attractive.

I would say that it makes me nervous to see that bloom on so small a plant. I lost 2 others years ago when I thought that was the norm for this species. Bloom and then bust:sob: With the plant I have now, I had no idea how big they can get. It's the biggest barbata type in my collection. Any signs of new growth yet? I see some moss growing in the pot ( a good sign:wink:). Maybe keep it wetter and darker, and very low feed.

The flower is fully formed and not taking anything up from the plant at this point. Also when the flower collapses,the plant will reabsorb nutrients from the wilting flower.

I doubt if anything is gained from cutting the flower at this point.

That enormous flower looks amazing coming from such a tiny plant. That's a really nice clone of tonsum. It has excellent shape. One of the nicer clones I have seen. What is its background?

It is from a sibling I made in 2008. Tonsum (El Corazon x Antisana). The seedlings have been slow to grow, they grew very well in flask, but very slow out of the flask. I have about another 30 plants left, according to my records I replated 50 plants into 5 tubs in early 2010 and deflasked in November 2010.

This is really nice. So, the flower isn't a rainbow of colour. That is more than made up for by the fact that the foliage is so beautiful. The whole package is very elegant and beautiful!

Despite the "boring" colour of this species, I like to see them in flower. They have some kind of charm with their loooong stems and huge flowers.
Moreover, the leaf pattern of your plant looks really attractive to my eyes.
I´ll be happy with this plant in my collection. :)

The flower is fully formed and not taking anything up from the plant at this point.

I doubt if anything is gained from cutting the flower at this point.
I absolutely agree with you about that. It´s a very-well-known concept among Dionaea muscipula growers.

Back