Tolumnias

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
Very easy to grow, I left the photo of my best one somewhere and will add it later.
P3291325.jpg

P3291324.jpg

P3291323.jpg

P1310973.jpg

They make me smile.

You will have to share your secrets with me on how you grow these in the home. I have two that I am pretty sure hate me :(
Also, would you be able to post a pic of what your leaves look like?

Sure, I'll take a photo of the plants later. [Actually, there's a photo on page 3 of my miscl. stuff thread]
My 'secret' is to have them planted in a fast draining media, stones, charcoal, [even one in sand], etc. Then, treat them for scale; 50% of the tolumnias I own, had that problem. Some of the scale look just like natural plant growths. Merit 75, then Neem seem to have mostly cured that problem. Third, they need sun, lots! Lastly, in an apartment to give them sun they are near windows but you have to watch the heaters, in foliage photo you'll notice a few burnt leaves.

Oh! Those are so lovely. I hope I can bring my last two back to life. Poor drainage and leaf burn took out many. :-( They are getting more TLC now. These really are the coolest little Oncidium types.

Fantastic!!!! I always wanted to try these!!!! Can they flower when small??? (They are small plants, I know...) Do they need lots of humidity??? How do you cope with it , Eric???? Thank you...:)

Very pretty! I wish I could grow these guys. I used to have a Tol. Golden Sunset which thrived and bloomed repeatedly until I divided it. It died faster than I could blink. And every Tolumnia that I've tried since then has met with the same fate. :(

Fantastic!!!! I always wanted to try these!!!! Can they flower when small??? (They are small plants, I know...) Do they need lots of humidity??? How do you cope with it , Eric???? Thank you...:)
here's his previous post on culture:
Sure, I'll take a photo of the plants later. [Actually, there's a photo on page 3 of my miscl. stuff thread]
My 'secret' is to have them planted in a fast draining media, stones, charcoal, [even one in sand], etc. Then, treat them for scale; 50% of the tolumnias I own, had that problem. Some of the scale look just like natural plant growths. Merit 75, then Neem seem to have mostly cured that problem. Third, they need sun, lots! Lastly, in an apartment to give them sun they are near windows but you have to watch the heaters, in foliage photo you'll notice a few burnt leaves.

Nik, this sounds weird!!!! You had it withthe first plant...what happened with the next ones??? :(

Nik, this sounds weird!!!! You had it withthe first plant...what happened with the next ones??? :(
I think the problem is that recent Tolumnia purchases have been in sphagnum moss. And I didn't bother to repot. Probably growing them too wet. I'm afraid to repot though since that is what killed the first one. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice tolumias! I especially like the last one, I need one similar eventually. The first one look a lot like my Tolumnia Popoki ‘Mitzi’ AM/AOS

Mine are in tiny unglazed mame bonsai pots. They are in sphag but they dry fast b/c of the unglazed clay pot.

Also I give them western sun from my window (possibly south-west) and the leaves turn red. I bloomed them last year and I expect blooms now that daylength is increased.

I can't understand it sometimes. I kill most stuff w/ fans like that, neostylis, etc. :confused:

I also kill stuff like Neofinetias, but Tolumnias seem to like me. (And I, them!)

I grow mine the way Fren does--just a tiny bit of media around the roots (usually sphag) to barely support them, in small clay pots. They're almost mounted, the way I have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back