Third time's a charm

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbedard

Reaction score
Hello from (near) Santa Cruz CA; my name is Robert Bedard, and I have been growing orchids for over 30 years. I have had relatively large collections for a hobbyist, and like many orchidists, have attempted to turn avocation to vocation. More than once. Most of my hybridizing experience has been in Sarcanthanae, mostly Phalaenopsis. Can't afford to grow many tropicals now, so mostly growing slippers. Bought a friends collection when he became too old to care for it. (George Stagi, Maplethorpe Orchids in Soquel CA.)

Coryopedilum section used to be my favorites, with an emphasis on rothschildianum and its hybrids, but they are a bit warm-blooded for my current conditions, (coastal California, no heat.) Now parvisepalums are probably my favorites, followed closely by Cochlopedilum. Real partial to primaries and species. Also have some good old complex Paphs.

I have a lot of friends that do Phalaenopsis and I get that "deer in the headlights" look whenever I start talking slippers, so here I am.

My laminar-flow hood has been turned off for 5 years, but I fired it back up just a week or so ago.

Oh, and I am that idealistic nutjob that started the short-lived Hybridizers Forum.

So hello, and I look forward to participating in this forum.

You will enjoy this group. We are great for supporting all orchid addicts esp. slipper addicts. Before long, we will have you convinced you need more!

You will enjoy this group. We are great for supporting all orchid addicts esp. slipper addicts. Before long, we will have you convinced you need more!

LOL, "more" is good, but I have overdone it a couple times already. I acquire at a more conservative rate now.

Welcome Robert to the forum from New York State. I used to live/work in Monterey/Salinas about 10 years ago. That's when I got started with the orchids...

Latest posts

Back