They're back!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paph_LdyMacBeth

...or more likely they never left.
So I had posted about this problem previously & had a good look around the forum. http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11649

The pests I have are most surely springtails (but way too small to post photos of with my camera). I have done everything I can think of to get rid of them, but the problem is just getting worse! While I was watering today I noticed HUNDREDS floating to the top in a few of my pots.

So here is what I have done so far.
1. repotted all affected plants into new medium (and by now all plants are done...I think)
2. I spray the surface medium with an insecticidal soap (containing Alkanolamine Salts of Fatty Acids 1.25%) about once weekly after I water.
3. I spray all plants and medium on the surface 1 monthly with neem (probably too much I know)

I have noticed the plants planted in CHC (primarily oncidiums) seem to have the most bugs. Is there an alternative medium people could suggest? I was growing them in lg perlite but I really don't like it as a medium.

Otherwise the plants are thriving. You'd never notice any issues.

I am open to new suggestions.

3. I spray all plants and medium on the surface 1 monthly with neem (probably too much I know)

Otherwise the plants are thriving. You'd never notice any issues.

I am open to new suggestions.

Isn't Neem as treatment supposed to be weekly?
BTW, springtails probably won't kill your living plant, they want decaying matter. IMO.

Neem weekly? I'm down with that. I was told every 3 months and felt like such a jerk for using it monthly.

I figured springtails weren't a huge problem for the plants as I have always had them on my amaryllis plants and never really bothered doing much about them. Should I just ignore them then? I know all the medium is new.

If you've repotted everything and still have springtails, there were probably attached to the roots. If that's the case, I'd flush the pots with a good systemic, like Imidacloprid.

I, for one, do not like springtails.

Back