The Temple Tour Continues....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Kyoto, dose #2.

In the same area as Kinkakuji is another famous temple, Ryoanji, The Temple of the Peaceful Dragon. While its most famous feature is a dry rock garden with no plants except a little moss on the rock islands, I didn't take any pics of it. The reason - too many people! The main temple was being restored and so the beauty of the place was marred for the time being. I did get a shot of one of the interior wall paintings in the abbot's quarters - an impressive dragon:

RyoanjiDragonSM.jpg

The woods near a large lake had many maples as the understory of much larger cedar trees, Cryptomeria japonica. They were glowing in the late afternoon sun:

RyoanjiWoodsSM.jpg

A bit further on is the large temple complex, Ninnaji, roughly translated as "Benevolent Harmony Temple". It is famous for its gardens, the rare Omuro Cherry, and a huge five story pagoda. We got there virtually at closing time so only got to see the pagoda, but it was amazing! Two views:

NinnajiPagodaFNT.jpg
NinnajiBLWSM.jpg

The next shot is even further down the way in an area famous for its strolling paths through bamboo thickets, Arashiyama. In truth we didn't visit this place until the second day there, but it is a good lead into the next batch of photos. This shot was taken in nearly complete darkness. The shutter was open for 30 seconds, so the ghosts you see are people walking by:

BambooPathSM.jpg

Thanks for sharing! Sure brings back good memories :)
I love Ryoanji's rock garden. :) It's probably my favorite temple in Kyoto :p

That Bamboo photo is amazing! Even without the long shutter speed, that place looks pretty cool. Bamboo is now one of my favourite groups of plants. Could you estimate the diametre and height of the largest ones?

A photo question: If this was shot in near comlete darkness, where does the light come from? The foreground is lit up more than the rest. Was this the entrance to the 'forest', so there was more light available?

Could you estimate the diametre and height of the largest ones?

A photo question: If this was shot in near comlete darkness, where does the light come from? The foreground is lit up more than the rest. Was this the entrance to the 'forest', so there was more light available?

This bamboo is moso, Phyllostachys pubescens, a large running timber species. They probably average around 15 meters tall, but can grow over 20 when happy. The average culm is perhaps 12-15 centimeters in diameter, but I've seen ones approaching 20. Cold resistant to USDA hardiness zone 7 - below that it is very iffy...

Yes, you're right, this is the opening to the grove, so it was a bit lighter "outside" than in. If you think about it, 30 seconds is a very long exposure (I was shooting as ISO 200 and around f20; both slow and small). The sensor had a long time to collect photons! Some of the light was a little ambient natural light plus lights from the city and nearby street lamps.

If you think about it, 30 seconds is a very long exposure (I was shooting as ISO 200 and around f20; both slow and small). The sensor had a long time to collect photons! Some of the light was a little ambient natural light plus lights from the city and nearby street lamps...

tripod?:):)? Jean

Back