Taxonomic chart of orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
Does anyone know where there is a taxonomic chart of the entire orchid family including all or nearly all of the genera grouped and placed according to their relationships? I have seen several charts and cladograms, but they all contain only the major genera. Frankly, I already know encyclia and cattleya are close and cymbidiums far from them, but I'm interested in knowing where chaubardiella, chlorea, disa, gastrochilus, coelia, and other similar less commonly grown and studied genera are placed.

If you are interested in a limited # of genera, search Wikipedia. The articles list the Scientific classification from the Kingdom down to the Genus.

I've looked before for something similar and haven't found anything. I don't think anything with all/most of the genera exists yet.

1) They change too frequently for printers to stay current.:poke::poke:
2) There is no universal chart given the number of taxonomists out there changing everything all the time:poke::poke:

1) They change too frequently for printers to stay current.:poke::poke:
2) There is no universal chart given the number of taxonomists out there changing everything all the time:poke::poke:

I agree with that, basically you have to know the major genera relationships within each subfamily and tribes. The more recent splits or lumps make more sense if you understand the basic divisions.

Latest posts

Back