T12 to T5 light conversion questions

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Migrant13

Mature growth?
Reaction score
Question on T5 lights. Has anyone converted their T12 fixtures to T5 fixtures and if so what was your experience? I have a light cart with three 4x48 inch T12 bulb fixtures. I have seen on the web that you can buy T5 bulbs with their own internal ballast and two prong end such that they fit right into the existing 2 prong T12 sockets. They run about $36 bucks apiece and you have to remove the existing T12 ballast and re-wire. Didn't look too difficult to do. By comparison, you could buy a new 4x48 T5 fixture but it's a bit more money. Also, assuming you convert from 4 T12's to 4 T5's, is the increased light output too much for paphs generally? Could always scale back to 2 or 3 bulbs I suppose. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

If you are thinking about a change in lighting then I suggest you skip the 1990s/2000 tech and move straight into LEDs. I think these are the perfect entry level purchase: http://firstrays.com/cart/Plant-Lights/LED-Vivarium-Grow-Lamp Some people I know are using them over their aquariums and getting great plant growth (and generally Paphs need lower light than aquarium plants).

If I start growing under lights I will be setting up LEDs, not tubes.

Latest posts

Back