Strange question on Neofinetia breeding

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One way to tell if Ascocentrum is involved is spur length - the shorter it is, the more likely you've got a hybrid. Of course with complex back crossing the spur length can increase. Here's a little beauty I picked up this summer with only the fanciful name 'Aochatsuki' (Blue Tea Moon). It was being sold alongside fuukiran at a local nursery:

AochatsukiFLSSM.jpg

Definitely a hybrid, but what a beauty! Those are the real colors.
Wow. Never seen the like and I follow all the fukiran stuff. Wonder if it’s available?

I still have piece of that plant, and the flower color varies from year to year. I guess a function of temperature? At any rate, this is just a hybrid with some other Vanda species, and should not be considered a "real" fuukiran. Many plants like this are produced en masse and sold at relatively cheap prices in retail nurseries. It would be fun to go peruse the greenhouses of Seed Engei and pick out cool looking ones, but they aren't open to the public. BTW, the naming of plants is pretty loose, so they can be named just about anything the grower fancies. The process of registering a recognized fuukiran is much more involved.

Latest posts

Back