STOS Spring Show and Sale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
... is this weekend. setup is tomorrow the 22nd. judging is friday I believe and saturday/sunday (and maybe friday afternoon) the show is open for all.

it's at the oakdale mall in johnson city (between binghamton and endicott along rt 17), ny. there also will be at least four orchid vendors including slippertalker Mike from Main Street Orchids (Pa); Paul Sheetz and JustPat Orchids (also an excellent aos judge) who also usually has some very interesting succulents; the famous or (in)famous Joe Kunisch of Bloomfield Orchids; Black Meadow Orchids I think also from Pa and possibly this year Kim's Orchids and Interiors who sells tons of potting supplies (including the fancy treated orchid bark from New Zealand, can't remember the name).

also fantastic artwork and photographs (some for sale) and educational displays (also raffles of plants). my educational display 'native orchids of new york state' will also again be set up there. I actually managed to update five of the species pictures that I'd taken recently so they aren't all the same pictures

STOS website and info can be viewed at http://www.storchidsociety.com/index.shtml

oops again; bloomfield orchids isn't at this show, he's at our show in the fall. also kim didn't make the trip this year because of work. I thought there were four vendors but I guess only three

I decided this year that I wouldn't enter my native orchid educational display for judging because as large as it is, it usually gets the blue ribbon. I voted to pass, and let others try for the ribbons as I don't need them for anything. This year I was told that the judges were thinking about checking it out for an aos educational award but couldn't because I had decided 'no judging' and I couldn't be reached by phone to give verbal consent. (* life is funny.....)

paul sheetz has some very unusual succulent plants that he sells every year. there's one that looks exactly like a flat cow pie that looks cracked and dried out from sitting in the sun, with a green shoot coming up from the center of it - I'll have to see if I can get a pic of it tomorrow

I thought there was one armeniacum in flower, but I think he said it was a fumi's delight or something like that. There were a few each of armeniacum and micranthum on thursday. I picked up an armeniacum at the rochester show from and pre-ordered a vietnamense that I picked up thursday (he had some dunkels for $35 I think, but decided to pass

Latest posts

Back