Started construction on new grow room

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamD

Catasetinae Crazed
Reaction score
Soooooo... Since framing and hanging walls is what I do 40 (+) hours a week I figured I'd come home and do some practicing. This is my new grow room, it was a corner of the basement/lower level (split level home) that housed file cabinets and an old Wurlitzer organ. The dimensions are about 8' x 8'. This is phase 1. There are 2 to go. Once the mud dries I will cover the walls with FRP, that white plastic dimply stuff you see in commercial kitchens and bathrooms. Once that dries, I'll tile up to that creating a waterproof barrier and put in the door. The window will aid in ventilation and supplemental lighting since it is a south-facing exposure. I have a 400w HPS light, two 400w MH lights, a four tube 2' T5 light for seedlings, and one hell of an enegry bill! Whadya think?

Awesome! 1200 W of HID lighting + the T5's would be way overkill in there. Probably can just get away with the 400 HPS for everything.

Can't wait to see the finished space. Keep us posted on the progress too!

Haha Justin I guess I should clarify. I was simply bragging about my options, I didn't plan on employing all at once. The hps and t5 will be the weapons of choice at first, but if light levels aren't where I'd like them to be I'll call in a reinforcement. The window doesn't let in much light since it's at grade and obstructed by shrubs and deciduous trees. If you look at a google map image of my house it's a bit of a challenge to pick out the brown roof underneath the canopy of trees.

I need to run my hands over that wall to judge the quality of the mud
finish. ;>) Looks to me like you're setting up a really nice place to grow.
I'm looking forward to progress photos.

*The reason I'm teasing about the mud quality is because it was so poorly
done at my house.

@ALToronto - What, do you think I'm made of money?! This came out of my plant fund! There's a bathroom right around the corner. Once I get sick of toting them back and forth I'm sure watering over a bucket will suffice. Concrete saws and jackhammers are a little out of the price range of this project. It would be nice though. Alas. Tis not to be.

@Ozpaph - Not necessary, the window will get used daily for a blast of fresh air. Plus, it is 30 years old, so it breathes a bit.

On the "energy bill," you could do what Orchid Inn/Sam Tsui does, which is run the lights during the night (switch the photoperiod). First, during the summer, it's cooler at night, so you don't have to run the exhaust as much. Second, rates are cheaper, and less chance of blowing a fuse. Third, assuming you aren't retired, you're at work during the day, and when you come home, the lights will be on for you to "enjoy" your orchids.

Thanks for the suggestions. After last years trial run of open basement growing I have learned a few things about the basement. Old windows let in much outside air, if the temps outside are in the 20s or lower at night, the basement will get down to mid 50s. Also, since it's mostly finished, the humidity isn't as high as a normal unfinished basement. The room is an experiment. Hopefully it will be a fruitful venture, but I do expect many trials and errors.

Adam, it's not that big a job to put in a floor drain, and you'll be glad you did. Rent a jackhammer for 4 hours, buy a few drain fittings and a couple of bags of concrete mix. For filling in a floor trench, you can mix the concrete with a shovel in a barrel or on a piece of plywood. Cheap porcelain floor tiles can be bought for $1-2/sq. ft, especially if you're buying the remainder of a big lot on clearance. Or just leave the concrete floor bare. Not worrying about leaks and spills is worth it.

Latest posts

Back