Stanhopea Heaven Scent

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Looks like it's got hernandezii as a parent. Stan hernandezii smells AWESOME!!! If you like peppermint patties, you'd like hernandezii. Does this hybrid smell like that?

Yes, a non-close-up photo would be nice. Thanks.

According to the RHS, this cross is Stan. Love Potion x inodora. I looked up Love Potion and it is connata x tigrina. So no actual hernandezii apparently.

Thanks Nik. I'm guessing that the toned down tigrina influence is what makes it resemble hernandezii (hernandesii?). There's something about the markings and the flat shape that bring hernandezii to mind. For all the Stan fans who LOVE fragrance, Stan hernandezii is a real gem. We used to say at the nursery where I worked that when one of our hernandezii's was in bloom, we'd probably make a killing if we installed a big crate of peppermint patties nearby for sale. One whif of that species and your mouth begins to water uncontrollably!

^ ^

I don't have a pure hernandezii but I do have a hybrid of hernandezii x platyceras. It bloomed for the first time while I was away on vacation. I came home to a couple of spent flowers. From what I could tell, it had the hernandezii markings. Oh, well. Next year!

Back