Spring has arrived in Europe!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Spring here -- this is my backyard today:

SnowyMarch.jpg
:rollhappy: er, I mean, nice photo! :p

Just now I saw the cranes flying East where their breeding-areas are.
It's the second time I saw them so I 'd say "the birds dont fail - spring is on its way"!

My father mentioned that he saw this as well today. I missed it though because I was in a kichten store. :(

Sorry, late answer!

The idea for these huge, shallow containers is simply stolen in Brazil. Looking into ways of cultivating Cattleya intermedia “to their full potential”, it seems their way of growing these plants, and (to me at least) it does make sense.
It goes without saying that most of my intermedias right now are rather over-potted, but I guess that will not do any harm. A nice side-effect is that I can’t keep buying plants because I’m using up all the space I have (which.......to any orchid-nut..... is a lie).
I’m overall hoping to not having to touch these plants again for a reasonably long period of time. Everything is geared towards keeping these plants like they are for 5 to 10 years. There’s enough room for multi-growth, the bark is coarse and should (in theory) remain structurally stable and…. hopefully I can achieve the same results as folks a Brazil do on a daily basis. Once they have rooted through the new bark I’m going to hang all these plant, which will bring it to the end of next month. After that they’ll be under the shade cloth with all the air and light and heat they could wish for.

5493863207_a3b54ceb77_b.jpg

If you're interested I'll put a few more pictures up!

John Boy, youre not the only one filling up your space

John Boy, thanks for the pics, below is i picture of my greenhouse earlier this winter, quite filled up right? I have been growing orchids for some 20 years now and have found out that its possible not to repot Paphiopedilums, but also Cattleyas and other epifytes. The latter requires that they are grown on bark though, in pots I have always had to repot sooner or later, normally after some 3 years or so. This depends a bit, and I think your set-up looks quite durable if you are able to restrict your watering to right levels. Back to my issue, I have been quite successful in growing Cattleyas etc on slices of oak-wood (Qercus robur/petraea) that I have taken (split with an axe)from the fire-wood we use here in the "bitterly cold" north. Well, it works excellently, and if you magnify the picture of the greenhouse you may se quite a few of such mounts.
The next picture(sorry bad quality) is a closeup of a young Cattleya lawrenceana clinging its prolific roots to such a mount. If you have good humidity and room, then my experience is that such mounting is an excellent alternative to potting for those of us that resent potting.
Bjorn:rollhappy:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Latest posts

Back