southern twayblade at jam bog

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there,
a few months ago there were some pictures posted of listera australis down south. I mentioned that it would be quite some time before they would be flowering up here, and finally (as of June 1st) they are! jam bog is in reality not a bog but a poor fen (not completely acidic) though has lots of floating sphagnum and there are also grass pinks, rose pogonias, northern white fringed orchis, lots of sundew and pitcher plants along with many other bog plants including cranberry. this year there were large numbers of twayblades, many in clumps of three which I hadn't seen before. things were also a little delayed there because of the believe it or not cool weather during late winter/early spring.
these flowers always remind me of little people standing at attention with their hands behind their backs!

laustralis1.JPG

laustralis2.JPG

laustralis3.JPG

laustralis4.JPG

laustralis5.JPG

laustralis6.JPG

laustralis7.JPG

a plant in tight bud

laustralis8.JPG

TEST: can you spot the orchid? (yes, there is one in the picture)

laustralis9.JPG

I'm only now getting these pictures posted; there are probably still late flowers visible on the plants as there were later plants that were much taller in the shade between the larches on the floating mat and the thicker woods behind.
I've read and seen pictures describing that southern twayblade in the south grows in the woods; here it is only found on 'floating' sphaghum, and only on certain species of sphaghum.

Yes. Thanks for posting.

Very nice find.:clap:

:) I actually didn't find them. I had been to that spot a number of times and had seen the other orchids there, but had never seen them. Someone else told me that they were there in a certain spot so I went back the next year. I had looked all around the spot and hadn't seen anything after very careful looking since they are so small and the ground cover so thick; I then moved away to a nearby spot to set my bag down, and then all of a sudden this funny little plant just sort of 'appeared' next to my camera bag. It was the twayblade but not in the spot that I was told that they were. After that I started finding them all over the spot I had told to look for them! If they had been snakes I would have been bitten and died......

Latest posts

Back