Sommers Isle x phil alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby5757

lightly hirsute
Reaction score
The first flower opened up on June 1st, I went away for five weeks and figured Id miss the whole show. What a pleasant surprise to come home to! I bought it when one fan was in low bud along with another that blasted, the second spike was unexpected.

S7301373.jpg

S7301369.jpg

S7301370.jpg

S7301371.jpg

Very Nice! I have one of these and am just waiting for it to spike - it hasn't bloomed yet and has 2 BS growths and 2 starts, so maybe it'll put on a show like yours too!! :)

Score!

OK, so a quick update on this plant. The third flower on the second spike is a little more than half open and I was relieved to see that the pouch is nice an uniform. So, today when i went to judging there was a alba phil there to be judged, it got a 89 pt AM, and one flower was removed for the picture. I managed to get my hands on it and the permission of the owner to use the pollen and have placed one of the pollinia on the bottom flower on the first spike.

Do you think this cross is worth making?

So this is my first cross, we'll see how this all goes. Im sure Ill be asking many questions if it takes.

Do you think this cross is worth making?
I think so. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't take. I've had 6 paph crosses in a row not take.

Nice plant by the way. It's different than the run-of-the-mill greens on the market.

OK, I doubled my chances, I pollinated the third flower just opening on the second spike just in case the other flower was past it's prime.

Now about how long before I see the ovary swell and the flower begin to fade? :confused:

So, today when i went to judging there was a alba phil there to be judged, it got a 89 pt AM, and one flower was removed for the picture. QUOTE]

Um... I'm very curious why one would remove a flower for a quality award photo?

-Ernie

I haven't a clue, it probably got knocked off. I just heard that there was pollen sitting in the trash can an jumped on it! :D There were six flowers and a bud, most quality award photos usuallym feature one flower so you can see details more clearly anyway, right?

Well, yeah, the picture is of one flower, but when I see a description saying there were six flowers and a bud on an infl and the picture shows a single, lonely *picked* flower, I begin in my mind to question if the other flowers were not as good or if the arrangement was poor, etc. Like something needed to be hidden. (On a spike of multis, i'd be suprised if anyone could take a pic of a single flower without getting at least a petal tip from another in the frame.) The camera hides nothing, and if the photographer had to hand pick the flower to get a good photo, was it really worth 89 points? On an AM of 89, this makes that suspicion even greater. For a score that high, *each* flower better be damn nice and they better look great as a team on that spike. The pic should focus on a particular flower, sure, but I'd want to see at least a hint of one or two of the others to make me not ask if the other six flowers were just as nice. If the other flowers were inferior to the photographed one, but the photographer included even just a tiny bit of another flower in his atttempt to focus on the best one, I'd probably never think twice- just something about *removing ONE flower* from an inflorescence tells me there was something worth hiding??? Were the other six crippled? Did the petals twist funny? Probably not, but why'd they pick off this one??? Just seeing a single makes these thoughts linger. So, I'd say shoot the single flower ON the spike... avoid picking off a single flower from several for a quality award photo is overall a bad choice, BUT, I wasn't there and don't know the circumstances...

Other folks, please chime in. Am I alone on this? Thinking about it too much?

-Ernie

Maybe I sent the wrong message. And god know's I don't want to start misleading or questionable rumors about an activity I enjoy greatly.

I was not out there when the picture was taken since I was in the judging room, but I can't imagine the photographer taking a picture of the one lone, removed bloom. He's been photograhing for 5 years at our region. I'd be willing to bet my collection that the picture was taken of the infloresence, with the focus on one bloom, giving a hint of flower arrangement, (which was well spaced, on a tall arching spike). There is almost no chance that the picture was taken of the *picked* or *broken*, (I don't know for certain which) lone flower

They were great flowers, on a strong plant. Doc (W.W.) Wilson described it as the best he has ever seen.

Last edited:
Sorry for my over-explanation of a possible interpretation. I have no intention of starting rumors! Judges and the judging system are constantly under the microscope, and since this came up, I feel it is a valid point of discussion. I'm sure the plant and its flowers were wonderful!!!

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back