Snowy Orchid (Platanthera nivea) - Blog update

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prem

Reaction score
I have updated my blog with part 1 of a multi-part series covering the royal court of the bog orchids - the Platantheras. Our first visit is to the delicate, early-rising princess, Platanthera nivea, variously known as Habenaria nivea and Gymnadeniopsis nivea.

Here is one of the photos taken back in June of last year:

platanthera_nivea_whole_spike.jpg

You can read more about this species on my blog at:

Florida's Native Orchids

---Prem

I thought it said "Snowy Owl"! :confused: I need a vacation. :(

Thanx for sharing.

Just don't drive to get where ever you're going :poke::rollhappy:

Prem, I meant to ask, did you photograph this plant recently? They were early summer bloomers in north Florida - around June. I'd be surprised to see one flowering so near September.

prem

Oh! Lovely!

I have updated my blog with part 1 of a multi-part series covering the royal court of the bog orchids - the Platantheras. Our first visit is to the delicate, early-rising princess, Platanthera nivea, variously known as Habenaria nivea and Gymnadeniopsis nivea.

Here is one of the photos taken back in June of last year:

platanthera_nivea_whole_spike.jpg

You can read more about this species on my blog at:

Florida's Native Orchids

---Prem

Thanks for all the kind words, folks!

Tom, I hear that these are still pretty common in the area just to the north of Jacksonville, which is where Okeefenokee is located, so not to worry.

In an area to the southwest of Tallahassee, they bloom over an extended time from early June into mid July, although there is a substantial burst of blooms in mid-late June. I first encountered this species there in mid-July of 2002...just a few plants here and there if you ventured onto the dirt roads criss-crossing the forest.

I happened to be there with a colleague just before this 'burst' was going to happen (June 16 of last year)...many of the flower stalks had just a few flowers open, and it was terribly difficult to see plants when only in bud. We saw at least fifty plants that day in just a small area, but my friend said that there appeared to be thousands when he returned a bit later...I am bummed that I missed this...perhaps next year...

---Prem

Very nice picture!!! The flowers look more like Gymnadenia rather than Platanthera...!

Let's hope next year you take pics of the thousands you mentioned...:evil::drool::drool:

Hello Prem! So glad to see that you're still searching out
plants in FL. Are you still taking the kids along? This
particular plant is a real beauty. Just happened to think...are your
kids still kids now???

I still have three of your photos hanging on my bedroom
wall. :>)

Latest posts

Back