Snails

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papheteer

Reaction score
I saw some snails, very small And black, on some of my new plants! Bought safers slug and snail killer. Pellets with iron phosphate. Does iron phosphate work against snails? Also is it safe for paphs even when watered? I probably put 15-20 pellets per 3-4 inch pots.

I had this happen once, recently. I took the plant out of the media, thoroughly rinsed off the plant and roots with diluted fruit wash solution, rinsed with running tap water and then di water and repotted in fresh media in a new pot. The soap with gentle agitation should handle any snails or eggs, while the cell walls protect the plant.

the pellets work, but I've never gotten them all with pellets. Slugs are my main issue, sometimes those stupid bush snails (what you probably had). There are always a few in there, go for months without seeing any and then you find one in the wrong spot.

If I get plants from a known sluggy source (I have a few), I soak them in a large bin of water over night. The slugs (and snails) seek air at the surface, and they are easy to spot. I put a good slug of dish soap in the soaking water. Repotting them afterwards never hurts, paying particular attention to the roots. Slug and snail eggs are relatively large, and spherical (up to the size of small pin-head). If you see any, get rid of them.

Iron phosphate works well on slugs. It would work just as well on snails, but they are not attracted to it.

Latest posts

Back