sequel

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paphjoint

After finally getting rid of the mealy bugs in may after several months of combat -- I found some aphids which now seems to spread all over the place - while inspecting my seedling which are also infested I discovered red spider mites too -- man this sucks -- who said that those critters didn't like humidity ? One more percentage of humidity in my greenhouse and I'll be swimming around ---

Since I copped out on the 5 hour each-way ride to see native cyps growing wild i had a chance to do some good maintenance this AM. Man mealies and scale are persistent. Good luck.

dang. pests suck!
do you use pesticides that are easy on beneficials? on a related note, ever use beneficial insects? you can knock them back with the pesticide then release the appropriate beneficials to knock them out...

I've been battling scale on one of my 10 plants since it arrived and it is a really mild case but still there. The other day when I checked on the plants there were two little ants hanging out enjoying the honeydew left behind so I knew it was time to check.

Pests are a pain, indeed. Sorry you are struggling, Uri!

Pests

Hello Uri,
Try Bio Kill--works wonders on all insects--unbelievably effective on scale. The orchid shop at the Paris Marché aux Fleurs (southern side) used to sell it and still does, I think. It can be ordered at any self-respecting hardware store or garden center in France. The bottle is yellow & green on a white background. Environmentally safe (apart from fish).
Yours
F
Ps : p.m. me if you can't find it.

I've been battling scale on one of my 10 plants since it arrived and it is a really mild case but still there. The other day when I checked on the plants there were two little ants hanging out enjoying the honeydew left behind so I knew it was time to check.

Pests are a pain, indeed. Sorry you are struggling, Uri!

So what leaves the honeydew. I found some on a couple of my wardii but could not see any insects. Went ahead and gave the plants a shot of safe soap and have not seen any honeydew since.

Yep I had two types of ants too but I got rid of them.

I don't want to use to many chemical products -- I think most of them are too toxic for humans. Applying them in the greenhouse is even worse because you get the treatment youself.
I used alcool to wipe out the mealy bugs but it took time .

Have you seen ants around too?

Ooo, Ed, if it's scale on the wardii, zap it Fast! Bad memories...I'm not sure if it was b/c it was a smaller plant w/ fairly thin leaves too, but I had one go down after only finding a couple scale on it :(

Back