Selenipedium success????

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kanuma was the only substrate in which there was no infection at plants of a friend.
But I don't know, what was the true reason for the healthy plant.

Kanuma/Akadama is similar to the original material around the roots. My be that some original mycorrhiza fungi at the roots can survive in that substrate, at least for some time.

Interesting. I forgot the pH of kanuma, but it is fairly acidic, I believe. In low pH, Phosphorous is likely to be washed out easily, and this might encourage the plant to keep the association longer with mycorrhizae? In many plants, high P discourage the associate with some mycorrhizae. I'm not sure if this is the case for orchid mycorrhizae, but Tom or Berhtold probably know.

Kanuma pH-value not really exists because the are nearly no components which are water soluble. But in long term the pH-value of Kanuma approaches about 5.5.
If You set the Kanuma pot in the rain, the pH-value will be for some weeks the value of the rain water.

Interesting. I forgot the pH of kanuma, but it is fairly acidic, I believe. In low pH, Phosphorous is likely to be washed out easily, and this might encourage the plant to keep the association longer with mycorrhizae? In many plants, high P discourage the associate with some mycorrhizae. I'm not sure if this is the case for orchid mycorrhizae, but Tom or Berhtold probably know.

A Review

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25006&highlight=hakone+kanuma
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23781&highlight=hakone+cypripedium&page=4

According to one (qualitative) experiment, there might be some advantage of Kanuma with root growths of P. micranthum for some people (it's in reivilos's post here).

For micranthum and armeniacum I mix about 20% Akadama in the pine bark, but no Kanuma. Kanuma is for the acid domain.

From my experience, kanuma doesn't work well in the medium term.
6 months on, on a few species, the foliage looked good but the roots were gone.

in the last 3 months the plant grew 5 cm (2 inches for the non metrics). So roots are operating.

14373893159_2133f17a79_o.jpg

Back