RO fertilizer question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About pH, for low total disolved solids water, RO or rain, I would not worry about pH, it is a trivial issue. I wrote a longer explaination, but I will post it in a new thread, as it goes off topic.

I think this is helpful to have limestone in the media of some plants that prefer slightly higher pH's - it can stabilize the media pH no matter what the pH is of the fertilizer water. When we feed seed plugs at work with the 13-2-13 6 3 cal mag fertilizer, I believe the pH out of the hose is often fairly acidic. Since it has calcium and when the plants take up this fertilizer the media ends up becoming alkaline or higher pH (maybe not over 7, just higher than usual).

5lbs. of msu ro got wet!!! ?ruined?

:eek::eek:
my 5lbs can of msu ro granular, cover cracked and over the last week enough water got in to wet and change the color of all the granular. it did not liquify much. but it is still wet, were it has dried it is solid but im able to chip off enough to use.
but is the fertilizer still good or is it garbage. what do you think,
its probabley not worth risking a valuable collection. unless somebody can garantee me.it is still aok.

Last edited:
it's fine, the chemicals in it like calcium just attract water if you leave the top off or exposed to air. it's not damaged or chemically altered (other than having more water in it)

sound good charles, but is it good enough or has it not changed composition in the least bit..
i mean i have plenty of liquid msu, plus a multitude of other organic and various other orchid ferts. msu is my main stay, but i like to mix in other ferts, once or twice a month, to fill in any potential deficiencies plus who wants to eat the same thing every day for the rest of their life;l
If you tell me its 100 percent safe and efficient then i will use it...
one other thing is does the granular msu go bad after time, i dont have an experation date on the bucket, its been around a few years. what is their that could change in time and go bad on granular fertilzer?
thanks for the help

With the exception of the EDTA used to supply iron, all of the ingredients in the formula are inorganic minerals, so quite stable.

The only real problem you're going to have is weighing it for mixing, as you don't really know how much of the mass is now water, but making a stock solution from the remaining material lessens that concern.

Keep it sealed between use, and shake well before dispensing, and you should not have any issues.

Periodically I've noticed an ammonia like smell when opening a started bottle of dry mix after it has been sitting out at room temp for a week. Since I'm usually opening and closing the bottle in the greenhouse I suspect I may be getting some damp air into the bottle. Subsequently, I keep mine in the fridge between uses now in case there is a humidity leak into the container.

Latest posts

Back