Reds

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
A lot of red things in the garden at present. Here's a few:

This orange-red hybrid azalea:

RedAzalea610.jpg

These ruby red root tips on Neofinetia falcata 'Kinboshi':

KinboshiRTS.jpg

This crimson red hydrangea called kurenai ajisai (deep red hydrangea), a naturally occurring form of the widespread H. serrata:

KurenaiAjisaiFLSCL610.jpg

And just cause it's so darn red, a repeat from another thread of this hybrid Sarracenia, probably S. psittacina x S. purpurea:

SarrPsittHyb.jpg

More reds to come if I figure correctly!

Great Pictures! The reds just pop out!!

Did you enhance the reds (with photoshop), or are they the natural colors?

Robert

Did you enhance the reds (with photoshop), or are they the natural colors?

Robert, I guess you're asking about the hydrangea and the pitcher plants? Yes, truly that red. Of course photography is manipulation of light, so speaking of true color, etc. is tough. They are as close as these tired old eyes can make out. That contrasty too - the hydrangea doesn't look real even to the naked eye. It you are using a screen with that shiny new surface coating it will only enhance that effect unfortunately - one reason why I don't use those types of monitors, I don't know what the heck I'm looking at!

Last edited:
Awesome 'Kinboshi' roots! Awesome Hydrangea! Both happen to be faves of mine! :D

The Red Train rolls on...

Thanks for the continuing compliments.

That hydrangea is a real stand out. Everyone who sees it goes, "is that a hydrangea? That's not a hydrangea, is it? Look at that color!"

A couple more reds, first, Sarracenia leucophylla:

SarraceniaFL09SM-1.jpg

And the spectacular Sprekelia formosissima (as big as your hand!):

SprekeliaFormosissimaSM.jpg

Intense reds.
Do you folks have dinner outside?(its insect season here).

Yes, we can eat outside until summer comes then the mosquitoes get way too intense. April through mid June (when the endless monsoon starts) and again in late September through early November (when the cold fall rains start) are great times for picnics here.

Another red today:

RedAmarylisSM.jpg

And another shot of the hydrangea. Even Japanese people who see these in my garden are floored by the color - they are amazed to learn that these are Japanese plants!

KurenaiAjisaiSunSM.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhh!

I'd advise you to keep all bulls out of your garden. :rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back