Pot o' Oaxaca

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
P9110481.jpg

That's really nice, Eric.

I've had my one growth one for just over a year. It's so very slow but it recently started two off shoots and those seem to be growing faster so hopefully it's finally becoming big enough to pick up some speed.

I was suprised how petite it is. I remember the one I saw at [the Secret Destroyer's house] as having much wider leaves; almost twice as wide. Hopefully it will do OK for me.

You sprung for a nice big one! I don't know if this has been mentioned here (probably), but when they send out new starts you can wrap the bases in sphagnum moss and tuck them in with a clip so they have an easier time rooting. Not such a big deal for greenhouse growers, but it's a nice tip for those of us whose humidity may not be as consistently high.

You're not going to water this guy every day, are you?... :(

I was suprised how petite it is. I remember the one I saw at [the Secret Destroyer's house] as having much wider leaves; almost twice as wide. Hopefully it will do OK for me.

I saw one at the Atlanta Botanical Garden that plant-wise was HUGE. Leaves at least 2X bigger than mine in length and width. The flowers were the same size as mine.

From now on, unless it's a rare or new species/hybrid, I'm trying to get the largest plants I can. The chances for survival and recovery abilities are much greater.

From now on, unless it's a rare or new species/hybrid, I'm trying to get the largest plants I can. The chances for survival and recovery abilities are much greater.

Eric, I'm beginning to think the same.. Especially for slippers, growing a single growth or a seedling is a PITA experience and is not worth the wait (with the exceptions of hybrids I can't get anywhere else..)... Quickly bloom the mexi..!! :D

I was wondering how to get mine like that. I wonder if it's a clonal difference?

I think just about about all the Mexi's out there are just from two lines (maybe a cross between the two also).

The Atlanta plant wasn't so much to look at since the plant was so big the flowers seemed much smaller in comparison.

Nice one Eric.

My plant struggled along until Rick advised me to load it up with oyster shell and start watering more. I follow the Culture Sheets advise of heavy watering during the summer and maybe only once a week during winter.

Here's a photo of one of my flowers from a few years ago to judge the size...

mexipediumanddime2005id1.jpg

This is one that has been steadily climbing to the top of my wish list.

I was planning on just getting a small starter from Windy Hills but agree, I should probably get the largest plant I can afford.

Really enjoyed seeing the photos!

Latest posts

Back