Pitch Pine Bog (2)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
part(2)

ppb11.JPG
ppb12.JPG

grass pinks; the right one growing through a tamarack seedling is nearly white (faint pink) though is old and faded

ppb14.JPG
ppb16.JPG

very robust sundew in a very dry spot that is normally very moist

ppb15.JPG
ppb13.JPG

left pic last flowers of sheep laurel, right pic cranberries in high bloom

... and yes, a thunderstorm did go by while I was here but just south (only sprinkles and very nervous since this spot was over a half-mile down one trail from my car)

Hello Leo,
I had to look up to make sure it was a sheep laurel which it is, and latin name is kalmia angustifolia. ID page stated that flowers are in middle of stem (check), and below the flowers the leaves droop (also check). ...also found on the edges of bogs (check again)

Love your travelogues! Very nice pics also! Love the Drosera rotundifolia! Can you describe the habitat? You said it was dry, but is normally moist. From the pic, it looks like they are growing among lickens (sp?). Here, they usually grow only on sphagnum moss hummocks in fens, and sometimes on peat.

thanks. the bog where this is, is very old and probably pretty shallow, and only a tiny spot actually gets open standing water. this spot would normally be just on the edge, and underneath is likely peaty and sandy, and what looks like lichens is actually very dry moss; sphagnum or another type.

Interesting. Thanks. Did you see any Sarracenia or Pinguicula on any of your trips?

yes, depending on the site, there can be very many or very few pitcher plants, some of them very large. some spots don't have any, or at least the exact spots I was looking at for, say, purple fringed orchis, but they would be in another spot less than a mile away. I don't think I've ever seen pings this far north, or actually anywhere for that matter. (except for the garden center selling them to catch fungus gnats! :) ) though it would seem that pitch pine bog would have pitcher plants, I don't remember seeing very many there at all (which doesn't mean much, I could be forgetting large portions of a previous trip there a few years ago). other spots the area could be carpeted with them even if it was damp but not floating wet

Latest posts

Back