Cultivated Grass Pinks by Spangle Creek Labs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
... in minnesota. Bill Steele and his wife Carol own and run Spangle Creek Labs in minnesota, and grow/sell many north american terrestrial native orchids. this last year Bill sent me a picture of a large tub filled with cultivated calopogon tuberosus (grass pinks), which was pretty spectacular, so with his permission I'm posting it here! (i'm assuming it was Bill who also took the picture)

Spangle Creek's website

calopogon_tub.jpg

a pretty sweet pot of orchids! these orchids aren't too hard to grow
at home if you have a good, moist big tub or an area that stays moist
all of the time

I've seen some grass pinks not far from here that were very tall, growing in a sort of 'decomposed' peat/soil area, in a wet opening between tamaracks close to a very large boggy area (pitch pine bog). ... seen lots of other smaller ones growing in sphagnum mosses but none as large as the ones in peat

Seems like I've seen some seed going to TM from manually pollinated native plant projects.

But this doesn't imply multigeneration line bred either.

But I don't know if any of these projects were related to Spangle Labs either.

I doubt if Spangle has developed a multingeneration line bred plant (which is still a species).

Nice pot of grass pinks! I don't think anyone has line bred Calopogons, but several hybrids have been done within the genus and with the related genera of Eleorchis and Arethusa. If memory serves, they are good germinators, but require 2 to 3 years to fully do so. They produce bulbs that can multiply over time.

Last edited:
Spangle Creek is great....I used to send Bill C. acaule pods from my LI place. Unfortunately, I have no luck with seedling cyps...I can get a year or 2, at the most, out of them.

Just stunning! Thanks for sharing!

edit: Just entered their site and had to laugh, great place, great work, equally commited to preservation and funny alltogether. Like it!

Back